ex JW atheists

by Bobhere 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Bobhere
    Bobhere

I know we were sold a lie in believing God was only dealing with the WT and to obey them is to obey God. What puzzels me is that in rejecting the WT so many also reject their belief in God. Surely they believed that God existed as witnesses.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well the answer to this is simple. When one joins the JW's they are taught to reject all other religions, and all other gods. Once a JW decides to leave, then there really isnt any other belief system left that works for them, they are left godless. Not all is lost as some XJW's will still seek out God in various ways. I imagine alot of the atheists/agnostics have been hurt so bad by their experience that it makes them doubt that a God of love exists.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I only believed in God because I was brought up to believe this was a fact without any encouragement to check this. I was not really allowed to entertain my own beliefs. I continued to believe in God without any sensible thought for many years after I left, but when I finally found my feet and began to investigate for myself I just concluded that I didn't believe in God. That if he existed he really wasn't worthy of worship and deserved to be despised. In that sense I am an atheist - I don't say he doesn't exist - who knows anything 100%, but I do say he has dione an appalling job, should be thoroughly ashamed of himself and that he should step down immediately.

• moshe
    moshe

Once a person learns to use critical thinking in getting out of JW's, it is hard for many to turn that off. Joining a religion is an exercise in faith and for some people who have left JW's, faith doesn't cut it anymore- they need cold, hard proof. Anyway, that's what I have observed.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>Well the answer to this is simple. When one joins the JW's they are taught to reject all other religions, and all other gods.

From what I can tell, there must be group like this. It seems that many people that belonged to high-control christian groups become atheists, whether former JW's or Mormons or even Christian Scientists.

In my case, I rejected the notion of God first, then the Watchtower and all its crap fell away as a result.

Dave

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I disagree with that analysis Junction Guy. In my case, and I suspect for other ex-jw's too, it was research on the JW's that led to the question of; well if they're wrong is any religion right?
    Researching further into biblical texts, ancient history and chronology, religious dogma etc leads many to reject religion altogether and become agnostic or atheist.

It's not that on leaving they become godless. It's that for years they were fed lies dressed up as truth and so they have a deep need to find out the real truth about the world and the universe. IMO those who leave the JW's and still cling to another religion or religious ideology have only made half the journey and are still held by the selfish desires for a paternal protective God and the psychological comfort blanket of a personal saviour.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I believed in the Watchtower God because my Mom made it clear that it was literally a requirement for my continued life. Rationalization is a wonderful thing.

Witnesses don't believe that there is a Zeus, or Odin, or Allah, or Gaia, or Buddha, or Galactus.

I've simply added one more name to the list of gods I go atheist over.

As for a "god of love," do a bit of research in the area of parasite biology and check back with me.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    What puzzels me is that in rejecting the WT so many also reject their belief in God.

I am puzzled that you wouldnt reject your belief in god.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Why would I believe in God when there's so much evidence that he doesn't exist? What proof is there that he does exist?

Kwin

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Of course you can reject Jehovah's Witnesses, and religion in general without rejecting Jehovah/& Christ even though many think they go hand-in-hand.

Then many feel since their 'prayers' are not anwered right away, or in a way they would like/think they should be, quickly then claim atheistism or agnostism.

But imo Holy Spirit has to teach you about God and open your eyes and heart to him, and draw you to him. Until that happens, you're on your own so-to-speak.

Outaservice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit