Just bought a NIV- whose name should I call on, Jesus or Jehovah?

by becca1 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• abbagail
    abbagail

Hey Mouthy, funny comment ;-)

I just sent you a PM, as I'd love to read your Jesus is Jehovah article, because I agree 100% and am LOVIN' IT! ;-)

Thank you!

/ag

Oh, and PS to the question of this thread: Pray to JESUS! His name was Jehovah/JHVH/YHWH in the OT, but He let that basically "disappear" and had the emphasis put on his NTname, JESUS, as all the above scriptures posted by others shows... including this one...

Philipp 2:9,10/NKJV -- Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him THE NAME WHICH IS ABOVE EVERY NAME, that at the NAME OF JESUS every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth...

I'd say the "Name which is above EVERY NAME" would include the name of JEHOVAH as well. ;-)

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Ok, trying to post Mouthy's favourite diagram:

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

HMMM, does anyone know how to insert a jpeg from my computer files at home?

TS

• mouthy
    mouthy

BTTP

• onacruse
    onacruse

becca1, you still haven't answered my question: What version of the NIV are you quoting?

Along with what narkissos observed, the reading "Lord (kurios)" is the proper rendering. Nestle-Aland shows no Greek variants.

Contextual arguments are theological, not textual.

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus! He is the mediator between God and man. Kind of like a lawyer. When we stand before God the Father, Jesus is our advocate for anyone who trusts and believes on him. It is so awesome because when we have Jesus the Father sees us as clean and holy before him.

Just a little side note/study for you: the Passover in the OT is a foreshadowing of Christ to come. Death passes over those who are 'covered in the blood'. Check it out.

• onacruse
    onacruse

For that matter, what Bible translation are any of you reading???

Craig

• becca1
    becca1

oneacruse: I meant "lord" not Jesus. But it seemed obvious it was referring to Jesus. My typo, sorry. And I have NIV from 02.

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

Jesus IS Lord....so what's the dif?

• onacruse
    onacruse

becca, thanks for that clarification.

And, insofar as the context of Romans chapter 10 is concerned, I agree that Jesus is the "Lord" to whom Paul was referring. (Romans 10:9)

As a personal aside: When I was a JW, I prayed to Jesus (though I never admitted that to anyone).

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit