Just bought a NIV- whose name should I call on, Jesus or Jehovah?

by becca1 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• becca1
    becca1

I'm reading Romans currently and as a life long witness and NWT reader I've always read Romans 10:13 as "anyone calling on the name of Jehovah will be saved'. NIV says "Jesus" and the context seems to suppoet this quite clearly. Could anyone please comment on this???

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

JWfacts has a really good article on his website about the name Jehovah and the NT. Myself, I don't use the name Jehovah - I use Father, Lord or God.

BB

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi welcome,

The context shows you are to call on the name of Jesus. God has given all authority to him, including the authority over his Church, so he is the head of all Christians. And the way of salvation.

Matthew 28:18
    Then Jesus came to them and said, "Allauthority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

Here is another text that shows Christians in early times called on Jesus;

1 Corinthians 1:2
    To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours

Here is another text of interest; Jesus is the only way for us to approach God.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me

John 5:39 - Jesus only way to imortal life

39 You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

Peace, Lilly

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    NIV says "Jesus" and the context seems to suppoet this quite clearly.

"Lord" in v. 13 correctly translates the Greek kurios, which was obviously in the LXX text of Joel as Paul read (or remembered) it. As a simple reading makes clear, Joel is quoted as a prooftext for his thesis, that whoever (Jews and Gentiles, v. 12) calls on the name of the Lord (Jesus, v. 9) will be saved.

If anything but kurios / Lord is read in the quotation, the quotation itself makes no sense and the argument falls flat.

But JWs hardly notice that because they use to quote verses instead of reading texts.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Here is the link to that article.

http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/Jehovah.htm

BB

• onacruse
    onacruse

becca, which NIV are you reading? The copy I have (NIV Study Bible, 1985) renders Romans 10:13 "Lord," not "Jesus."

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Romans 10:5-13 NIV

5 Moses describes in this way the righteousness that is by the law: "The man who does these things will live by them." [ a ] 6 But the righteousness that is by faith says: "Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?' [ b ] " (that is, to bring Christ down) 7 "or 'Who will descend into the deep?' [ c ] " (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). 8 But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," [ d ] that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: 9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. 11 As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." [ e ] 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." [ f ]

Romans 10:5-13 NWT

5 For Moses writes that the man that has done the righteousness of the Law will live by it. 6 But the righteousness resulting from faith speaks in this manner: “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ that is, to bring Christ down; 7 or, ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’ that is, to bring Christ up from the dead.” 8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your own mouth and in your own heart”; that is, the “word” of faith, which we are preaching. 9 For if you publicly declare that ‘word in your own mouth,’ that Jesus is Lord, and exercise faith in your heart that God raised him up from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one exercises faith for righteousness, but with the mouth one makes public declaration for salvation.

11 For the Scripture says: “None that rests his faith on him will be disappointed.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for there is the same Lord over all, who is rich to all those calling upon him. 13 For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”

Reading it from the NWT, it makes no sense. You call on both Jesus and Jehovah to be saved and we all know that jws don't believe that - it's only Jehovah for them. In the NIV it's all centered on Jesus.

Josie

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Remember that the WT falsely inserts Jehovah into the Greek Scriptures, supposedly wherever an OT quote is being made (although they skipped the ones where that would disagree with their theology). However, this is an instance where the context would actually be a good indicator of the deity of Christ--that is, it is a New Testament scripture applying to CHRIST that previously applied to JEHOVAH.

I hope you enjoy reading through Romans. Chapter 8 is one of my favourites: "There is now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus..." That is present tense!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Guess I missed this very interesting thread.... If you would like to p.m. me your address I have a very interesting article -that proved to ME!!! Jesus is Jehovah....
    I am not clever enough to post it on here ,as you can see by my age. But It really convinced me whom I should pray to.... Dont feel bad if you dont wish to give me your address. I understand completly. When I first started questioning the WT I was petrified to get in touch with any who was opposed to "MOTHER"
    I was so THANKFUL to find FATHER!!!!!!! LOL & He was not married to the WT MOTHER!!!!!LOL

• icocer
    icocer

bookmarking for further review. Very cool

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit