News from the congregation

by Vivamus 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

My mum is still technically a JW. I say technically, cuz she has no intention of dying from boredom by going to a meeting. So I'm cool with it. Plus, it ensures some communication lines are still open to the flock.

Last week I received another inside scoop on my former congregation. Divorces, death, sickness, they all have it .. And it just struck me "do JW's actually have more misery than normal people?".

For a flash second I revelled in that thought and then reality caught up with me, knowing it's nonsense. How about your congregation? do you like hearig how those people are doing, or could you not care less?

*Disclaimer: i apologise for the fact that my first *new* post isn't that hot or interesting, but I actually could not think of any other thing to start with. Unless my new job or something might interest you

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I have to admit that when I do get some gossip about my old congregation, I take a prurient interest. Then I start to feel deflated that me leaving my husband one night and never coming back 12 years ago must be a long forgotten and very minor scandal now - my ex-brethren have outdone me in spades.

All in all, the behaviour of members of my old congregation can beat on the sleaze-o-meter anything I or my "worldly" friends have done hands down.

• blondie
    blondie

I keep track of births, deaths, marriages through the newspapers. It is amazing that JWs we meet start out with the problems in the congregation...as if that would encourage us to come back. Actually, many of the problems are people we know who are reaping what they have sown. As to our inactivity, we aren't even a blip on the stories to remember.

Blondie

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Hi Viv, yes, I would love to know about the fate of those in my former congregations without giving them the impression that I would ever come back.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    .. And it just struck me "do JW's actually have more misery than normal people?".

IMO, YES. They are on edge about Armageddon. They have to live their lives around
    the big "A" and then around the daily chores of being a JW- meetings and service.
    Their cars wear out from service, they have bigger dry-cleaning bills, they sacrifice
    valuable vacation breaks for assemblies, they know plenty of depressed cult members,
    they mostly make less money than their non-JW families, they have no holidays to
    celebrate.

As I read up on mind-control cults, I think many things don't apply to JW's because they
    don't live in a commune with sleep-deprivation, making flower arrangements to sell on the
    street, but then I am reminded of what a life the JW's are to lead. We were given just
    enough personal freedom to make us more miserable. You can buy a car, but it needs
    to be a good "service" car, none of those 2-door sports cars. You can have a home to
    relax in, but you can't relax on weekends and on two weeknights- that leaves three week
    nights out of 7 days that are all yours, but you really should be studying on those nights-
    and avoiding "worldly" entertainment.

• JH
    JH
    How about your congregation? do you like hearig how those people are doing, or could you not care less?

Yes, I was interested knowing how people were, but I had a hard time even getting the slightest information.

I think that misery is catching up on them. After all, they are getting old at the same rate as worldly people.

I don't take pleasure in seeing anyone sick, but they better not make me believe that God is protecting them more than any other believer or non believer.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Vivamus,

From the standpoint of "they couldn't be more wrong" and what they're proclaiming, won't-- be happening. I'm like a pig in a poke whenever I hear someone I knew has left that dreadful cult.

Dismembered

• Cellist
    Cellist

Hello Vivamus,
    We like to hear news from the congregations we've been associated with. Most of the news though is about deaths and marriage breakups. Sad, but makes me glad I'm not a part of it anymore.

Nice to see you posting again. So .... tell us about your new job. :)

Cellist

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

It's curious, but when I met some of my old congregation, they always start to tell me "who left" "who died" "who re-married" "who got bank-rupt" they never tell me who are still in........

• Highlander
    Highlander
    It's curious, but when I met some of my old congregation, they always start to tell me "who left" "who died" "who re-married" "who got bank-rupt" they never tell me who are still in........

So true. Pretty much anything I hear about the 'old gang' is the negative things that are happening and the latest rumors. Nothing positive seems to be discussed. So much for being the happiest people on earth!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit