Is it possible that worshiping "Jehovah" is worshiping a false god?

by A-Team 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• A-Team
    A-Team

For Christians only:

I was watching a special on CNN Saturday about Muslims and them worshiping "Allah". I said to my self "They are worshiping a false god." The Holy Spirit then said to me, and I'm paraphrasing "What makes that different then you saying Jehovah?" Right there, I was stumped, and stunned. Trying to rationalize the reasoning, I came to the conclusion about 3 minutes later that there wasn't a difference, because "Jehovah" is a artificial name, made up in the English Lanuage, just like "Allah" is in Arabic.

So I decided to do some research, and I found soemthing interesting. In my Lexicon, I found this interesting tidbit, #1943Hovah, another form for 1942; RUIN:-MISCHIEF.

Now, I am NOT saying that worshiping the God of Israel is worshiping a false God. What I am saying is, we should be calling him by his Jewish Name, which is Yahweh.

Yesterday, the Spirit gave me another nugget on this. If your name was Ifkenneka in a particular African tounge. If you move to the US, or any other English speaking country, your name will always be the same, eventhough you are give some sort of nicknaem, thats not your official/given name. Your official/given name will always be Ifkenneka, no matter what lanuage you speak.

I need some feedback on this

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I think of it more as a false representation of God. And I think Allah isn't a name of God but it means God in Arabic. Someone let me know if I'm right. I know I can look that up but saying it here will help.

Thanks,

Josie

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

I wouldn't agonize over the method as long as the intent is pure because in the end God will seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Now for me the real problem is that amongst JWs, many worship the Org rather than any God.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    And I think Allah isn't a name of God but it means God in Arabic.

You're right Mrs Jones. We had a missionary to the Muslims visit our church once to explain Islam and the culture - and she strongly reprimanded anyone who dared say Allah is not God - she said quite simply the Arabs have no other word for 'God'! Misguided religion maybe, but don't equate Allah with Satan!

I understand that the Arabic name/word Al-lah comes from the same root as the Hebrew El-oheh.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If this is what you are hinting at, in the past-
    names were changed for the languages.

Peter is Pedro. Karl is Carlos. Jonathan is Yohan or Johnnie.
    Currently, this is not a trend. Pedro continues to be Pedro
    after he moves to the US.

So- in keeping with past tradition, Yahweh became Jehovah,
    but it would not take place the same way today.

My greatest strides in understanding the true essence of that
    name are this- the original name was something of a title.
    "Causes to become" or "I am" could be compared to "Creator".
    It's much more complex than that, but the Jews were right in one
    respect- stop using the name and you won't disrespect it. The
    way JW's use the name, clearly is disrespect.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

A-team, you may have a good point about the name Jehovah.

I 'm not too knowledgable about Roman mythology but didn't they call Jupiter (equated with Pan, the God of mischief and merrymaking) by the shortened name of 'JOVE'? That's where a lot or our English words and sayings come from, such as jovial and 'BY JOVE'

It's just a name at the end of the day but maybe we should look more closely at the origins of some of them!

We don't know what God's name is in Hebrew - somebody took all the vowels out!! So Yahweh isn't necessarily his name either.

Another hypothesis I read which tends to support this view was made by a rabbi - Yahweh can be translated in any of the 1st person singular forms of 'to be' (I am, I will be, I might be etc), in common usage, he said this is a polite way for someone to say 'mind your own business'!! This makes total sense in a culture where to know someones personal name is to have a share in their power, family, personality etc.

(cf Jesus saying to his father 'I have made Your Name known' = Jesus displayed the Father's power and personality on earth?)

• agapa37
    agapa37

The same applies to Jesus doesn't it?

• Rooster
    Rooster

napp.6-8God’sName—ItsMeaningandPronunciation***

God’s

Name—ItsMeaningandPronunciation

ONE of the Bible writers asked: "Who has gathered the wind in the hollow of both hands? Who has wrapped up the waters in a mantle? Who has made all the ends of the earth to rise? Whatishisname and what the name of his son, in case you know?" (Proverbs 30:4) How can we find out what God’s name is? That is an important question. The creation is a powerful proof that God must exist, but it does not tell us his name. (Romans 1:20) In fact, we could never know God’s name unlesstheCreatorhimselftoldus. And he has done that in his own Book, the Holy Bible.

On one celebrated occasion, God pronounced his own name, repeating it in the hearing of Moses. Moses wrote an account of that event that has been preserved in the Bible down to our day. (Exodus 34:5) God even wrote his name with his own "finger." When he had given Moses what we today call the Ten Commandments, God miraculously wrote them down. The record says: "Now as soon as [God] had finished speaking with him on Mount Sinai he proceeded to give Moses two tablets of the Testimony, tablets of stone written on by God’s finger." (Exodus 31:18) God’s name appears eight times in the original Ten Commandments. (Exodus 20:1-17) Thus God himself has revealed his name to man both verbally and in writing. So, what is that name?

In the Hebrew language it is written ????. These four letters, called the Tetragrammaton, are read from right to left in Hebrew and can be represented in many modern languages as YHWH or JHVH. God’s name, represented by these four consonants, appears almost 7,000 times in the original "Old Testament," or Hebrew Scriptures.

The name is a form of a Hebrew verb ha·wah´ (???), meaning "to become," and actually signifies "He Causes to Become." Thus, God’s name identifies him as the One who progressively fulfills his promises and unfailingly realizes his purposes. Only the true God could bear such a meaningful name.

Do you remember the different ways that God’s name appeared in Psalm 83:18, as set out in the previous section (page 5)? Two of those translations had mere titles ("the LORD," the "Eternal") as substitutes for God’s name. But in two of them, Yahweh and Jehovah, you can see the four letters of God’s name. However, the pronunciation is different. Why?

How

IsGod’sNamePronounced?

The truth is, nobody knows for sure how the name of God was originally pronounced. Why not? Well, the first language used in writing the Bible was Hebrew, and when the Hebrew language was written down, the writers wrote only consonants—not vowels. Hence, when the inspired writers wrote God’s name, they naturally did the same thing and wrote only the consonants.

While ancient Hebrew was an everyday spoken language, this presented no problem. The pronunciation of the Name was familiar to the Israelites and when they saw it in writing they supplied the vowels without thinking (just as, for an English reader, the abbreviation "Ltd." represents "Limited" and "bldg." represents "building").

Two things happened to change this situation. First, a superstitious idea arose among the Jews that it was wrong to say the divine name out loud; so when they came to it in their Bible reading they uttered the Hebrew word ’Adho·nai´ ("Sovereign Lord"). Further, as time went by, the ancient Hebrew language itself ceased to be spoken in everyday conversation, and in this way the original Hebrew pronunciation of God’s name was eventually forgotten.

In order to ensure that the pronunciation of the Hebrew language as a whole would not be lost, Jewish scholars of the second half of the first millennium C.E. invented a system of points to represent the missing vowels, and they placed these around the consonants in the Hebrew Bible. Thus, both vowels and consonants were written down, and the pronunciation as it was at that time was preserved.

When it came to God’s name, instead of putting the proper vowel signs around it, in most cases they put other vowel signs to remind the reader that he should say ’Adho·nai´. From this came the spelling Iehouah, and, eventually, Jehovah became the accepted pronunciation of the divine name in English. This retains the essential elements of God’s name from the Hebrew original.

Yes!
  • thebiggestlie
    thebiggestlie

I must say i agree that the name Jehovah isn't an accurate transliteration of haShem (the name) I currentlt prefer the pronunciations Yahuwah Yahuweh. I am on a search for his true name. Keep in mind that other biblical names should be treated equally especially those that contain haShem Elohim (the name of God) For example Jeremiah really is Yerme`Yahu. Jesus christ is Yahu'shua Messiah. I urge all believers to seek the true name although i don't believe it is a requirement i do think it's important.

• under_believer
    under_believer

[deleted snarky comment]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit