True Co$t of a Convention

by zack 16 Replies latest jw friends

• zack
    zack

For years one of my assignments was in accounting both at the Circuit Level and District Level. I was never Department Head because those slots are filled my true company men.

The cost of an assembly is determined by a formula the Assembly Hall Committees uses. It's pretty straightforward. Annual costs plus a set aside for maintenance and

equipment upgrades divided by the amount of pubs. in the Circuits that use the building. This year in my circuit it's something like $2.30 per pub. per day. Not for attendee, but per pub.

However, every Sunday afternoon the Assembly Overseer gives a report: "Expenses this Assembly $11,500. Your contributions $3,500. We are confident in Jehovah in being able to

cover our expenses." So, the pubs., usually about 1,000 of them on average in my area, reach in and fork over more money. Here is what they ARE NOT TOLD: The so called expenses

include resolutions for contributions passed by the elders in the Circuit at their business meeting and this money goes to the branch. Who sponsors those resolutions? Why, the

Assembly Overseer and the Accounts Overseer (at the suggestion of the Circuit Overseer), company men extraordinaire, many who are former Bethelites. SO, in a Circuit where the

expense is only $4,600 for two days, like in mine, the pubs send unbeknownst to them, an extra 7k per wk end.

Our Assembly Overseer says of the pubs. generosity: "Jehovah always provides." It is a demonstration of their reprehensible

sense of entitlement the higher ups have when it comes to treating the sheep like they're stupid, like its their job to be dishonest with them because if left to their own devices

they wouldn't donate any extra.

Sorry for the long post. I am in my anger stage of this process.

Zack--------------------

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

You and another poster here who used to post as JT should really get together and share notes. He was on the fast track to being a "company man" but gave it all up when he found that much of what he'd spent his lifetime believeing in he couldn't defend.

It would be interesting what the two of you could come up with.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Hey, I was the circuit accounts overseer for several years, and I resemble your remarks!! Company man, indeed!

At least I was until I became the assembly overseer for many years. Got to see a lot of that inside stuff. Glad you're posting here Zack.

S4

• zack
    zack

Hey, thanks for posting. I used to enjoy TJ's posts while I "lurked."

Seeker4: Thanks. I'm sure you were/are nothing like Reichsfurher Assembly Overseer that we have here, now.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

Geeeeeez.....They know how to really fleece the flock, don't they? My sister was at the last convention of the summer 06...she was so impressed that the society spent the money for pirogliphics (?sp...Fire effects) I bet it made people give more money for the wonderful "special effects".

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

Interesting post Zack. I never could figure out the expenses figure at the end of a circuit assembly. Seemed to me all they had to pay out for was heating and lighting as we'd ponied up for everything else including building the damn place.

It puzzles me what the org is doing with all those billions in the bank extracted from brainwashed dubs. They don't seem to be in it purely for the money like televangelists etc but they're obviously reticent to part with it for charity work or just making ordinary dubs lives easier when they hit hard times.
    I'm not one to quote the bible at people anymore being an atheist an'all but didn't Jesus say not to store up for yourselves treasures on earth?

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

Thanks for explaining this. I always wondered why the assembleis cost so much. Property taxes, utilities, materials for maintenence, what other expences do they have? How could every weekend that the facility was used cost $8,000-$12,000. Are people really flushing the toilets that much? Now I understand, its all a scam!

• joenobody
    joenobody

megamomma - I think you meant "pyrotechnics"

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Every assembly I ever went to, we had an announcement of how much it had cost, and how much had been donated, and there was always quite a large deficit announced, which used to send the majority in attendance, including myself, scurrying to the contribution boxes to stump up more cash. I guess it's not until you become wise to how corrupt the wts really is that you realise what a con those announcements really were.

• startingover
    startingover

When I was in the same position as you Zack, and still a loyal dub, I remember thinking how effective this method was to get people to donate. I am one who hated seeing red ink, so at the time I thought it was the only way we could avoid it. Being an accounts servant in the congregation opened my eyes to the small amount of people who give most of the financial support to the congregation, you know, those that had a check in the box the first of the month like clockwork. The WTS has done a good job over the years recruiting cheapskates.

The one thing I didn't bother to consider at the assemblies was where that donation money was going and why. I just bought into it as a good thing. What a fool!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit