True Co$t of a Convention

by zack 16 Replies latest jw friends

• zack
    zack

I never minded giving to the local cong. After all, you had to turn the lights on, pay for air conditioning, etc.... But I did not like

donating to the Branch. They are answerable to no one. I always wanted to see where my money was going. Still do. And I want

to be able to condition its spending. With the Assemblies and conventions, few people know their money is going to the Branch. And no one

has a say over how it is spent.

Zack-----

• choosing life
    choosing life

The last assembly I attended actually announced what all the money went for. They mentioned donations to the society and travel for a bethel brother, etc.

I was always offended that they chose to donate my money to the society witthout my permission. Also, there was always a large sum in the bank for the circuit. I always wondered why they couldn't take the needed money for the so-called deficit out of that money. It was so obviously a racket.

• Gill
    Gill

A Racket and a half, or what!

We NEVER donated at any assembly. MY husband would never allow it and I always thought him 'BAD' for that.

I do remember thinking about how horrible those regular announcements, pleading poverty, always were. I could never understand how the people who donated to build the damned halls, work for free building the bloody things, and then have to pay to bloody well go there couldn't see the injustice in it all.

To cap it all, after you finish building the hall, you get to visit a couple of times, then they would change your assembly hall. Lo and Behold! This new assembly hall need refurbishing and your cong had the privilige of paying for the damned thing!!!!

Bizarre! And totally greedy!

• ErEf
    ErEf

half year ago an elder asked me to join him to collect the money..

so we collected all the money and then we went to some little office where 2 elders where sitting to count the income. It wasn't much so one of the elders counting said the CO wouldn't be happy about this, because half of this is for him.

I couldn't believe my ears.. let the CO taken an example of Paul and get a job.

one day in the assembly hall costs now + €5000

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

Thanks Joenobody.....That IS indeeed what I meant to "say"

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I was always baffled by the massive expenses run up each weekend at assembly halls, until someone told me about those gouging resolutions. Here in Ontario about a couple of years ago, the WTS sent a letter to congregations regarding the repeated "deficits". They made no mention of those resolutions and had the gaul to suggest monthly contributions be made to the circuit ahead of time (they suggest about 40 cents per pub).

The higher ups know that many regular pubs now know, because at the last assembly they included in the announcements a rough break-down of the expenses including the resolved money to be sent to the WTS.

Keep the inside info coming peeps! Its effecting change.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Every assembly I went to,they were always short of money..Brothers can you give more?..They don`t pass around a collection plate.They announce it from the platform,they want your money...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit