Did feel that you were at a mental breaking point at the point of leaving?

by jambon1 40 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

Prior to you leaving the org did you come to the conclusion that if you didnt actually take the step and leave, that you would run into serious mental difficulty.

I really feel that for 5 years proir to my finally leaving I was quite impaired mentally by the teachings and practices of the org. It was coming to a head though when I finally announced that I was leaving. I really felt that I was under intense mental pressure and that if I didnt get out then I may end up doing something serious. I look back now and realise that my leaving could well have saved my long term sanity, even my life.

Anyone else concur?

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

I'm at that point right now.Every Sunday is pure torture by attending the meeting .It's also torture having my mom call to see why I wasn't there. I try to miss as many meetings as I can because my brain swells from all the bull crap.They say you should always be true to yourself and that is the mental breaking point and that by sitting on the fence is exhausting.Leaving would relieve all the stress but having family members not being part of my life would take a bigger toll on me. One day, I will have to decide which suffering is easier.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Yes I felt the same way. I just couldn't believe the teachings anymore. I was sick of going door to door. I was sick of going to all the meetings. I knew that if I stayed there and tried faking it I would go crazy. I couldn't believe the weight that was lifted once I told them I was out. Best thing I ever did for myself was get out of that crazy cult.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Yeah.

How sarcasm (irony?) saved my life (WARNING: Sensitive)

You could say so. "Stress" is a gross understatement.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

ooooh yes. I was crying in a fetal position in my bedroom with the bookstudy in my LIVING ROOM at one point! I was SO freaked. I knew it was them or the death of me. It was inevitable that I leave to survive but it took me a few YEARS to get the courage to do what I knew would ruin my relationship with my JW family and literally take away all my friends from the prior 13 years. And Jesus' said his load was LIGHT...further proof this Borg has nothing to do with Christianity and everything to do with prison under the pharisees.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I was on a 2-3 year cycle of depression and repression for years. A huge part of that twas the abuse in my early childhood (pre JW) But being a witness did nothing to help and I see ways it not only stopped me from healing but made them worse. The controlling environment of the WTS an a controlling husband/elder who was mentally, emotionally and sexually abusive drove me to the very brink of suicide.

About a year before I actually left I got elder-approved permission to see a therapist about my childhood abuse. The one rule was not to tell them I was a witness.

The counseling went well but it wasn't long before I was realized I was living the same nightmare in my adult life. My counselor lent me a book - a biography by a sexual abuse survivor. I related so well to the trauma, the feelings, the effects of what she went through.

At one point she described how she felt listening to her father come in the door at night. How the atmosphere thickened and fear would overwhelm her. I remember those feelings.

What shocked me was to realize I was still living that nightmare. But now, instead of listening for my father I had the sick feeling of listening to my husband's key in the door.

I sat on my bed for 3 days sick with the memories of the past and the reality of the present. It seemed like there was no way out and feeling trapped is one of the worst feelings in the world.

My thoughts of suicide increased. I did think of other options.

I could just leave but I knew I was too sick mentally to care for my daughters alone.

I still was a believer so knew I had an obligation to provide the "due" to my husband. We talked about that and he actually did move out to his own apartment for a short time but then wanted to make conjugal visits.

The WTS tells women that if they are not providing the "due" then it is the woman who is responsible if he has sex with someone else. I would carry the bloodguilt of his wandering outside the bonds of marriage.

The only way for me to avoid that bloodguilt was to either die or commit adultery myself so he could be free.

Yeah I realize how stupid that all is but I fell for it hook line and sinker. Interesting how I never considered he would be bloodguilty for my actions

So die or do it myself. And then I realized that I didn't want to be dead. There was an important but subtle difference between wanting to die and being dead. The wanting to die was more a wanting-it-all-to-stop, the pain, the anger, the abuse, the confusion, the pressures, I wanted it all gone.

So leaving became an option but I never wanted him knocking on my door saying we were still spiritually wed and I had an abligation to fulfill.

So instead of suicide I went the other way.

And damn it all if he didn't say he would forgive me if I decided to say.

No way. Getting my spiritual grounds for the end of the marriage was traumatic. I sure wasn't going to let it be for nothing.

So I'm still here. Stronger and better than before and that is a place in my head that I never want to go again

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

What I meant by ''leaving" was quitting the religion not leaving this earth by my own hands. I think the pressure to do more is exhausting.I always thought that the load was supposed to be light AND not burdensome as the WTS make it.Let those who can carry that load remain in and leave the rest of us alone.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Absolutely. I was at the point where if I did not change I was ready to break. I was headed for an emotional breakdown that I doubt I would be able to recover.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I felt like I was going insane towards the end of my JW career. I was in a cold sweat at the meetings because I felt paranoid to be surrounded by people who sincerely believed such nonsense. I was doing tequila shots before some of them just to calm myself down.

It was the darkest period of my life and not a soul knew what was going on.

GBL

• Jourles
    Jourles

Exactly as you described it jambon. It was tearing me up inside. I always had an ill feeling. As soon as I was df'd, the mental yoke was literally lifted off of my shoulders/mind. The feeling of complete freedom was unparalleled. Even now, nearly two years later, the mental freedom is the best part of my life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit