607 Question....not debate

by Zuko 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JamieL
    JamieL

The only thing I ever derived from that date was that things had obviously changed on the earth. So to me, at some point or another the world changed in scale of all things bad. I don't really tie it to a date in my mind, but the fact that the world is in really bad shape by expanding technology, and the ability of humans to gratify any unseemly desire...very crazy.

I also was not saying people here were nitpicking and it's relevance to the society nitpicking....why does everything have to be a comparison? I was making a generality that why would "anyone" nitpick over the bible and its message.

I was always under the impression mr. CTR always thought he was annointed long before 1914...anyway, he was a little kooky as it is. I guess I never made the connection that the annointed class and great crowd were ever discussed seperately till the 30s. Till then didn't all the Bible Students think they were all going to Heaven?

Oh well, not that it matters to me. I believe some people are annointed, but like all classes of men in authority...in a pretty gross violation of that unchecked authority over good people.

• skyking
    skyking

I would bet my kingdom. I have research if you want it that I think is ease for even the hard headed JW can follow PM me if you want it.

Lady Liberty love your post.

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Here's some interesting stuff from Alan F.

http://corior.blogspot.com/

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Rolf Furuli (or something like that) published a book that purports to offer sound historical support of the JW teaching on the matter. Rolf is a linguist. He works with Olaf Jonsson (of "Gentiles Times Revisited" fame). Rolf is a JW. Olaf is an ex-JW. Rolf presents his arguments (I am told) in a very Watchtower-esque manner.

I have not read either book, because in my opinion this subject is not the easiest way to crack the JW nuts in the first place. Very few JWs enjoy history. Very few know what the organization teaches on the matter of Neo-Babylonian chronology. If they dig into it to prove the organization right you can't prove them wrong.

All of them firmly believe the organization has the right to judge wrongdoers in private and expel them from the congregation publicly. They can't prove the organization has the right, no matter how hard they try.

All of them firmly believe the word "Paradise", as used in the Bible, refers to earth. They can't prove it from the Bible no matter how hard they try.

All of them firmly believe the Faithful and Discreet Slave is a (1) "class of people" that comprise God's (2) "channel of communication" to his (3) "spirit-directed organization" of anointed and (4) "other sheep who comprise a separate group of Christians" that are (5) not able to gain spiritual truth except through this channel. They can't support it from the Scriptures, no matter how hard they try. If they dispute—or even simply thoroughly challenge—this doctrine they are expelled.

I understand why knowing about the 607 farce is important. But I don't think many who are currently leaving the truth are doing so because someone started them off with this issue. It seems like more of a last stage realization than a first stage realization.

If someone has read Rolf's book, please don't fail to comment on it. I have had JWs mention it in "support" of the doctrine.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Assyrian, Babylonian, Egyptian, and Persian Chronology Compared with the Chronology of the Bible, Volume 1: Persian Chronology and the Length of the Babylonian Exile of the Jews ISBN 82-994633-3-5 By Rolf Furuli.

Check his wiki here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolf_Furuli

Make sure to see the critical analysis link at the bottom of the page.

steve

PS, Technically, you could be going back to the hall. In which case I hope they give you mike duty.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

"Accepted" may be too ambiguous a criterion. He may accept one you might not accept. Perhaps "textbook" would be a better way to go.

Rolf's writings are theoretical in nature, not proven. He is far from an unbiased writer, much like my dad writing a book in defense of 607 BC. But he is an authority in his field.

His field is not chronology. His field is not archaeology. His field is not history. His field is linguistics.

It didn't stop him from writing a theoretical treatment of a subject on which he is not properly qualified to write. But then, his sacrifice of stature in the academic community was a small price to pay for having publicly supported false doctrine in answer to a known apostate's viewpoint.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Tell your friend that I will leave my home to him free and clear if he can find any factual evidence for 607.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It depends how far he goes back, there is no evidence at all probably since the 1900's when a lot of the archealogical finds were collated. Astronmical records are good as they can be used to pin point time periods accurately. I did once stumble across a Christian site that claimed 607 as well, for the same reason that it was 70 years from 537, but certainly not evidence, just the same speculative reasoning.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

LOL @ MrsJones5 - good point! Unless you are counting your time like this guy is.

To the poster who started the thread: www.607v587.com

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/55372/1.ashx

Alleymom's Keep It Simple, Sweetie approach.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit