An Example of honesty wt Feb.2007

by bobld 22 Replies latest jw friends

• bobld
    bobld

The WBTS has published many of these, where money is found and returned to the owner .With a reason,because I am a JW.In this issue,there is a big picture of NELMA:A woman from Chuzeiro do Sul,Brazil.She apparently found $1000.00 in the pockets of some trousers that were donated because of a flood.Nelma returned the money to the businesswoman who had donated the clothing.This lady was overjoyed to receive the money,because she had set aside her payroll for her employees in a trouser pocket.

SHOULD THEY(GB/FDS) BE IDOLIZING THESE HONEST PEOPLE?

NOTE:No man should be idolized.Christians should guard against idolatry.It means giving such a one a measure of worshipful devotion.But GOD explicitly stated that he does not tolerate such a thing.However,they (gb/fds) lack proper perspective,of knowledge and understanding of honest people helping people.It is as if by exalting a fellow human creature they are lifting themselves up also.

NOW HERE IS AN EXAMPLE FROM THE WORLD.

This is from a wordly newspaper.Yes I know the WTS says these are half truths.I will not quote the whole article."I am contacting your newspaper in the hope that I may be able to puplicly thank the Good Samaritans who helped me when my truck broke down on the Highway just......on date.In my distress,I regrettably failed to get the name of this kind young man from...who went home to get a vehicle that could tow my vehicle back to the city.and than to top it off,drove me to get a room for the night.My thanks are also extended to the hotel owner to drove me to my truck.He gives more praise.......Thank you for the opportunity to express my gratitude to all who assisted me to return home safely". THAT PERSON(S) ARE TRUE CHRISTIAN.Did they say to the truck driver do you know why I'am helping you?Did they ask for anything?They did it out of their heart and they never give the person their names because they did not want to be idolized.There are many examples like this and/or letters to the Editor.Just my litte rant on the wt.

• Gill
    Gill

Morning Bobld!

The point of this article was not the idolization of the lady in question, whether she be real or ficticious,but the idolization of the WTBTS, themselves.

They are showing a character who is a JW. They are saying, that any other person likely would not have returned the money, but this woman returned the money because she was a JW and was following the teachings or rules of the WTBTS to be honest.

Afterall, other people who are not JWs wouldn't have returned the money? Or would they?

Just more 'mindless mind control' from the WTBTS and self adulation. And in the end, the story might well have been fictional!

It was a 'Look how good WE are and have made YOU!' story! 'Everyone else is BAD except for US!'

• vitty
    vitty

I absolutely agree with your post. There are millions of occasions were people have been honest or helpful. It goes on in every day life. Its a part of interacting with other people.

The problem is the WT think they are the only ones who are honest and constantly say so in their magazines. Stupid comments that were supposedly said by someone worldly " If everyone was a JW the world would be paradise " yeah right

After doing a good deed who else would make it known what religion they were?

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I remember an article about 10 years ago about a witness who found a wallet, returned it, and it was written up in the WT as an example of honesty. At the time, I bought into the idea that we were the only honest people. Shortly after this, I inadvertently left my purse in the grocery cart in the parking lot of my local store. When I got home I had a call asking me to come get my purse. I hurried back to the store to retrieve it. All my money and credit cards were there. I asked for the name of the person who returned my purse. "Oh, we didn't get the name. This happens 2 or 3 times a day." I thought to myself, if only witnesses are honest, there must be a lot of them hanging around the grocery store!

That's when I realized the idea that only JW's are honest was a fallacy.

Bonnie

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

The WTBTS and JWs are just like everyone else. But they need to believe that they are special. So they highlight anything positive that is done in their organization. Then they contrast that with publishing everthing negative with everyone else's.

If they would only give equal time to publishing negative things about themselves and positive things about others they would be more honest and realistic.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Good point. I once help a lady change a tyre and thought it would be a good witness to tell her i was a JW. She took offence at me telling her what religion i was, saying something to the effect of "So you are just helping me to get points with God". Which is very true. These days when i offer help i don't then go out of my way to say what my beliefs are with the hope my example may convert them, I do it because it is the right thing to do.

• Gill
    Gill

JWfacts - This lady knew you were 'scoring points for the afterlife.' When you do that, you get NO credit in the here and now!!

• geevee
    geevee

Ive known witnesses that found money and kept it.
    <br>I read about a kid who found $10,000, handed it in to the police...he wasnt a witness. Lotsa witnesses deal in cash or cheat on their taxes or preach to fellow workers on the bosses time....or speed or drive after drinking.........

• Gill
    Gill

Yup!

I know JWs who lie to claim Social security benefits, council tax benefits and don't report earnings.

I know JWs who steal from elderly people......

Does the Watchtower have any articles on these people?

• Mary
    Mary

A couple of months ago, there was a woman in my area who found $40,000 in small bills that a courier for the bank had dropped. Even though this woman was poor and could have used the money, she thought it was more important to set an example for her two sons, and she returned it to the bank. She was rewarded $2,000 for doing so.

Funny thing is: she wasn't a Witness and wasn't featured on the back of the Craptower. While there are certainly many Witnesses who are honest people, they do not have the monopoly on honesty and it's annoying that they like to pretend that they do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit