Do JWs know who the king of the north is?

by cultswatter 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Well if they do they are keeping quiet about it ,the fall of the Berlin wall must have been an embarrassment for thinking witnesses.(edited note - is that an oxymoron?)

I don't think it will ever be said but what if it is the USA - the WTS would never say that ,would they ,for they may have latent feelings of the USA being "god's own country".perish the thought?

Or maybe in time the governing body will promote more writers to join them ,but with skin a different color than white ,and then new light will reveal who the king of the north is.

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

It is a polar bear.... *** g93 12/8 p. 23 Impressive Giants of Canada’s North *** KING of the North” and “Lords of the Arctic” are striking titles shared by some 30,000 polar bears

• dark angle
    dark angle

whew, thats a new light! or maybe it will be, if no other nation will fit. heheh

• flyphisher
    flyphisher

wozadummy

but what if it is the USA - the WTS would never say that

Who else should be the "new king of the north"? 1990 the KON has changed. No doubt.

fly

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Jayhawk,

It would be a stretch for them to apply it to China. China has always been conspicously absent, despite its huge size, from any recognition in Bible prophecy. The Bible writers seem to have been unaware of the vastness of the Orient, focusing almost solely on countries in the immediate vicinity of the Middle East.

• IMHO
    IMHO

You're all wrong. It's the EU.

• gumb
    gumb

According to the WTS, 'the power struggle between these two kings stretches into our day' - Pay Attention To Daniel's Prophecy chapter 13, paragraph 2 (PATDP). Here's my take on their current 'understanding' of Daniel 11. From verses 5-19, the WTS more or less follows The Lion Handbook To The Bible's (TLHTTB) understanding that the 'king of the north' refers to Syria, and the 'king of the south' refers to Egypt. Both lands are, from the viewpoint of Israel, set thus geographically. From verses 20-35, TLHTT identifies the actions as pertaining to the continuing struggle between the previously mentioned 'kings', whereas PATDP jumps ahead in time (identifying the 'king of the north') starting with the Romans Augustus, Tiberius, and Aurelian, through to the German 'empire' and Third Reich of WWI and WWII, and ending up with the 'communist bloc', with Britain and the Anglo-American world powers representing 'the king of the south'. Its interesting that TLHTTB, with reference to verses 36-45, says, "They may refer to the end of Syrian domination at the hand of Rome, the new king from the north. I think that the WTS has got its north and south mixed up when it refers to the Anglo-American powers as the king of the south. My personal opinion is that if one insists that these verses deal with events now or in the near future, it would be more logical to see America as the ultimate extension of the Roman empire, 'the king of the north'. It gets its religion from Roman (4th century) Christianity, has a number of Roman symbols such as the eagle and the senate, and has a warlike mentality as can be seen from its numerous invasions. The 'king of the north' is described as one who would attack with 'many ships', so this 'king' is known to have a large naval capability. This certainly is true of America. The ancient Hebrew word NEGEB which is translated from these scriptures as south, 'comes from an unused root meaning to be parched' (Strongs), and to me aptly applies to the middle east. Whereas the Hebrew word for north (ie TSAPHOWN) has the underlying meaning of 'hidden, ie dark, used only of the north as a quarter (gloomy and unknown)' (Strongs). As such, I see the middle eastern (Muslim) countries as more likely to fit the title 'the king of the south'. Of course, the WTS spiritualises most things and doesn't see the connection between a literal Israel and prophecy. They imagine that somehow JWs will as a group hold so much world attention that they will end up fulfilling Bible prophecy. However, in my opinion, the clash between 'Christian' and Muslim civilisations (with literal Israel in the middle) looks like a far more realistic contender for a precursor to Armageddon. If, of course, you believe in Bible prophecy!

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

I am wondering if they know which way is north yet alone who he is.

abr

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

Flash... New Light... Teddy Jaracz, under the guidance of holy spirit, has revealed the king of the north to be Santa Claus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit