Did you enjoy personal study?

by Fleshybirdfodder 23 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

WOW, I thought you were actually describing my studying
    when you described yours.

I would read the quoted scriptures, try to figure out how they applied, even cross referenced them, but usually it would lead me on a big goose chase ending with eyebrows raised and jaw dropped as it inevitably led to something either completely nonsensical or just plain sadistic in the Hebrew scriptures.

I often just accepted what they said after shaking my head. During WT study with my
    wife, I would often say- "Bad example. What about.....?"

I thought I had the problem. Well, I should have followed my instincts years sooner.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I never really did any personal study. I very rarely studied the WT or whatever book study book we were doing at the time. I'd quickly go through and underline, at the meetings I'd look up the cited scriptures, but it was more for show. I'd read the cited scriptures and sometimes wonder why they put that in there?

BB

• james_woods
    james_woods

What they called "personal study" would be better termed "personal memorization". Probably the arch-type of this nonsense was Albert Schroeder, late of the governing body.

He claimed to be able to quote you almost any chapter and verse of any Watchtower for 20+ years back. And he would use it on you like a Houdini illusionist just to impress you with his vast knowledge.

He proved to be totally incable of reasoning on any of it though...

• merfi
    merfi

I always tried to enjoy it, but never really did. I did the quick highlight before meetings and that's about it. The times I *did* attempt to do a "deeper things" study, I'd get bored and sleepy.

• RAF
    RAF

From OTWO

WOW, I thought you were actually describing my studying
    when you described yours.

I would read the quoted scriptures, try to figure out how they applied, even cross referenced them, but usually it would lead me on a big goose chase ending with eyebrows raised and jaw dropped as it inevitably led to something either completely nonsensical or just plain sadistic in the Hebrew scriptures.

I often just accepted what they said after shaking my head. During WT study with my
    wife, I would often say- "Bad example. What about.....?"

I thought I had the problem. Well, I should have followed my instincts years sooner.

Interesting that's in resume what my sister "M" said ... (lots not contextual quotes) and we've made a trial with last the a WT talking about exclusion (they use a new word for it now : excomunuation) whatever ... full of no contextual quotes ... Each time to make it clear I've read the all chapters for my sister for her to realise it for good.

From JW What they called "personal study" would be better termed "personal memorization".

Yeah it's most about memorization ... if memory can help thinking, studying/thinking/analysing should not be leaded by memory but discernment.

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder
    I'd get bored and sleepy.

Ha! True! On second thought it was the perfect cure for insomnia.

FBF

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah, and I still do it. :)

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

It was just boring enough for me to go off on tangents and begin REAL personal study. Which eventually helped lead me out of the org. So I guess its good that I persevered to a certain extent.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

lol, no i never did personal study. i tried. others tried to force me. nothing worked. certianly didn't enjoy it. i can't really express how boring i find WTS publications.

tetra

• anewme
    anewme

Yes I did very much and still do.
    I loved the old Aid To Bible Understanding Book and then the Insight to The Scriptures.
    I used to stay after and check out old publications from the KH library.
    I read and read and read. But I never read with a critical eye.
    I could remember whole passages of info to relate to Bible Studies. I was a regular parrot for the Society.
    I took the whole thing so seriously and surrounded myself with like-minded young friends.

I thought some older history of the society was kind of weird but never questioned it beyond the damage control spin they offered.

If only, if only, if only I had found JWD way back in the early 70s!!!! But the internet was still a dream.

Now I spend my time at the public library RE-LEARNING HISTORY without the slant the WTS gave it.

Anewme

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit