Did you enjoy personal study?

by Fleshybirdfodder 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

Let me preface this by saying how much I enjoy learning. I read constantly. But as for "personal study", I did my best... I forced myself, but could never get into it. I would read the quoted scriptures, try to figure out how they applied, even cross referenced them, but usually it would lead me on a big goose chase ending with eyebrows raised and jaw dropped as it inevitably led to something either completely nonsensical or just plain sadistic in the Hebrew scriptures. I could just never see the "truth" from personal study as the Watchtower painted it. What was I doing wrong? They always had the pretty pictures in the Watchtower of the good Witness in one scene, hands clasped in prayer, in the other scene at a table, scratching his chin with a pensive look and WT reference books sprawled out in every direction. What were these people doing that I wasn't? What was the knack? Did you enjoy personal study?

FBF

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

I never did much during most of my time as I was too busy. But after a few years I was so bored with the meetings as they where always the same things over and over again that I could anticipate the next scripture someone was going to use.

So after getting married I began to study more on my own. Thankfully as this is what led me out. I used to joke how I was going to write a book called " The Other Scriptures". Meaning the ones we never quoted or cited.

I'm far from a scholar but that is a good point. You don't need to be to see the Watchtower is wrong and they know it.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

I never enjoyed studying the JW material...I always felt stupid because I didn't understand what they were talking about....but I was always able to answer the questions right...Hmmmmmmm?? I now REALLY enjoy researching things till I understand.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Yep. Sure did. I think I looked for deeper meanings for certain words and what not.

I REALLY enjoyed the personal study which led me to the realization that all their little scripture twisting and abuse of quotations was not just a myth.

Seriously though, yes I enjoyed personal study. When I did it. I didn't enjoy studying the books or W though. It was very repetitive and dry. The personal study enabled me to dig a bit deeper.

• RAF
    RAF

With the WTBS ... NO

But by myself ... OH YEAH ! ... but I don't read it word for word (but conceptually, in between the lines and contextually). and it doesn't say what it's seems to say at first, it's way more deeper ... (lots of symbolisms in the story and contextual examples)

For instance I realise that Adam and Eve represent what we are from our first day of life (inconscious - with free will and little by little we're going to obey to wisdom or not. And in our situation egocentrisme is contagious, only charity (every kind) shows your concerne.through others ... The old testament shows that in being overprotected (Adam and Eve - the Jews : it doesn't lead anywere and ask you to respect many laws - like a kid but in being overprotected you can't grow or you become a spoiled kid ... and so on ...

That's when Jesus come's into the picture for good, (enough with laws - means grow up - you've got every demonstrations and history is telling where egocentrism leads) he says look take example (I'm giving myself for you - Charity) and from that he does not ask to be perfect (read Roman 7 very funy) but just at least not want the bad. (that's not a lot to ask) ...

and wanting the bad is blasphemy against the Holly Spirit (hypocrisy : you know you are acting bad but you don't care and stay contagious)

Basically ... that's what I read ... all in all conceptually.

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

Interesting views RAF. I think I'll toss those around for a while.

• RAF
    RAF

Thanks Woodsman ... the thing is that is doesn't contradict itself this way

it says why God is really loving - it's not about obeying him it's about wanting the best to go further in being free (he can't rape us and say you're gonna do what I want - where is the free will ? nobody can be happy in not being free, but we are not alone (and being alone is not funny) so at least he can only give more to those who really want the good. and he don't want to destroy anyone before he can prove they do not deserve to go further. (that means be patient for the good once - I can't just do what I want it have to be right in every way ...) So everydody do suffer in a way or an other ...

Also I realised that Jesus is actually God's talent and wisdom (about wisdom the verses which says it straith is 1 Corinthian 2:7) So when before I was thinking why God didn't sacrified himself instead of sending his unique son, actually he did sacrified the part of him which made the decision ! That's justice !!! The concellor/leader pay the bill.

and wanting the bad is blasphemy against the Holly Spirit (hypocrisy : you know you are acting bad but you don't care and stay contagious)

To be more precise on this wanting the bad is working against the holly spirit it's leading to the bad which is blasphemy against the holly spirit (means makes lots of people wanting bad even without knowing it - religion/politic/stupidity ...). but anybody can have it's own interpretation of the bible conceptually.

Reading it by myself leaded to a very different understanding of the Word ! (when I think that I've actually get back to reading it to show to my sisters what was wrong with it ... Well ... it's weird somehow) but at least I have been able to show them the JW teaching wasn't right ...

• parakeet
    parakeet

I enjoy personal study of subjects that I choose and that challenge me mentally. The only challenge provided by WTS publications was how to endure the boredom.

• moshe
    moshe

I can study science all day long. Anytime, I ever opened the Bible I always got bored quickly.I never was able to read the entire Bible- same goes for the classic novel, Moby Dick.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

no, I never enjoyed it. I thought getting the CD would help but its not really studying to me when you cant draw from many different resources.....and I never understood what the WT was saying. I really never got into their way of teaching.....and now having said that, I sure sucked alot of it in.

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit