Snow .................again.

by Mulan 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

It snowed here at the end of December and I said then that it usually doesn't snow here in the Seattle area until January or February.

Well.............they predicted a big snowstorm last night, and it didn't happen, but it's snowing now, really hard. Not sure if it will last long, because the weather forecasters can't seem to predict much correctly, other than rain and wind.

I was hoping to take pictures but it's dark, so will have to wait until morning. A cold front is supposedly going to last awhile here, so the snow should be around for a few days this time.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Here in NE Indiana - it is unheard of not to have several snows by this time of the year - usually 6 or 8 of 'em by now with between 2 to 10 inches each.

This year is unbelievable - we have only had [other than a couple of dustings] one snowfall - that was in November, about 2 to 3 inches. It was gone before December rolled in - and we have had exactly 0 inches since then. I cannot express how unusual this is - and we have has many days in the 50's - even in the 60's a couple times.

This is a place where we used to expect snow to fall two weeks before Thanksgiving and stay until April. Normally the temps would be around -10F often. Yet today was prob the coldest day we have had in a month - it is maybe 28 degrees F right now after sundown.

At least we were not in Denver - now they have had some winter this year.

Jeff

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

No snow here...yet. I don't know whether to crow about it or cry. We should have about 12 inches by now and I have the feeling we might get it socked to us. But I could be wrong.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Marilyn,

In the "banana belt" between Lake Union and Greenlake it is snowing very lightly at 5:15 PM, melting on the streets and sidewalks, but about 0.1 inch on the lawns and trees. It is so quiet...

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

No snow here in Orlando yet! Will wait.

Outaservice

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

People who are not familiar with Seattle will find this hard to believe, but there is one particularly peculiar Seattle driving habit that is amazing: when the snow starts coming down, people who are driving on the freeway will just stop - many times where they are - and get out of their cars and begin walking. After a hard snow, I-5 and I-405 and other major highways are littered with abandoned cars.

It's something you may not believe until you see it, but it is true, as I'm sure our other Pacific-Northwesterners will be able to verify.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    In the "banana belt" between Lake Union and Greenlake it is snowing very lightly at 5:15 PM, melting on the streets and sidewalks, but about 0.1 inch on the lawns and trees. It is so quiet...

I know what you mean. It is soooo quiet. The snow didn't fall for very long, but we got about 3/4 of an inch.

People who are not familiar with Seattle will find this hard to believe, but there is one particularly peculiar Seattle driving habit that is amazing: when the snow starts coming down, people who are driving on the freeway will just stop - many times where they are - and get out of their cars and begin walking. After a hard snow, I-5 and I-405 and other major highways are littered with abandoned cars.

That is very weird. I try to avoid that by staying home when there is snow on the roads.

The evening commute was pretty bad tonight. Tomorrow morning will be worse, when all the wet stuff is ice.

• Purza
    Purza

They say we will go down into the teens here in California this weekend -- very, VERY rare here. I am betting you are getting hit with the same cold front. Please drive safely!

Purza

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

From the news here BC has had some wicked winds again and there is a blizzard in Saskachewan.

We usually have enough snow on the ground to look like Xmas but we have had barely enough to cover the grass. The Rideau Canal is usually frozen over and turned into the world's longest skating rink. You'd do better with a canoe right now.

• morty
    morty
    No snow here in Orlando yet!

Hope it holds off there for a bit...we are leaving for Orlando on Friday!!!

Here in Ontario, we finally got some snow last night...very strange not to have any snow this year...was a green x-mas as well...I am just waiting for a bomb to drop and we end up with 20 feet of the white stuff all at once!!! ( as long I am in Florida when it does happen!!)

I also just got back from Cuba last Friday, and I can tell ya, there is no snow at all there...In fact it was 30 and hot,hot, hot for a whole week!!.....God is was nice!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit