I NEED YOUR IDEAS

by *jeremiah* 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

So I noticed a man who works in the same building as me has been carrying around his New World Translation Bible. We don't know each other, but say hello now and again and I get the feeling that he is a very zealous brother. I walk near his desk quite a bit. I decided that I want to drop an anonymous letter now and again at his station when he is not around.

When I say letter, I actually mean two or three sentences. I don't think most zealous Jdubs read a long letter questioning their doctrines.

I want to leave him two or three sentences so that it will be easy for him to read every word. Second, I think a quick two or three sentences will be more likely to stick in a brainwashed dub members mind and rise to the surface everytime the point is brought up in the Jdub world. (In this situation anyways)

In all seriousness, please give me your best two or three doctrinally thought provoking lines for a Jdub.

Could be a snippet of scripture,...with a few words of commentary,..etc.,etc.

P.S.- Something else that might provoke thought might be a frontpage scan of an old WT/ Awake mag or Zion's WT that has outdated/ old light doctrine on the cover.

Thanks

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

How about this:

19 Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days."

20 The Jews replied, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and you are going to raise it in three days?" 21 But the temple he had spoken of was his body. 22 After he was raised from the dead, his disciples recalled what he had said. Then they believed the Scripture and the words that Jesus had spoken. (John 2)

Jesus is saying he raised Himself, ...what does that really mean?

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Deut 18:20-22

20 “‘However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. 21 And in case you should say in your heart: “How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?” 22 when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened at him.’

abr

• carla
    carla

After you leave him your note, maybe you could also print out a few Silentlambs brochures (or other) to leave in the lunchroom so no one else gets sucked in by him.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Not replying to your question, but... why anonymous?

Not sure about the laws where you are, but here that could put you in big trouble (e.g. for harassment).

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I would start with:

(Deuteronomy 18:20-22) 20 "‘However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. 21 And in case you should say in your heart: "How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?" 22 when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened at him.’

I would continue with quotes from WT that are obsurd.

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

Narkissos,

I'm not sure the laws here,...but believe me,...it would be fine. I'm moving on from this job very soon and it wouldn't be a terrible thing if i was found out and possibly fired.

• Confession
    Confession

How about this?

Why would any religious organization warn and even threaten its members not to seriously consider information that is critical of its teachings?

“When anyone is replying to a matter before he hears it, that is foolishness on his part and a humiliation.” [Proverbs 18:13, NWT]

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

Most Bible translations:

15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. (Colossians 1)

New World Translation:

15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; 16 because by means of him all [other] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, no matter whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All [other] things have been created through him and for him. (Colossians 1)

Why is the New World Translation the only bible that inserts the word "(other)" in parentheses for these particular scriptures when translated from the original Greek the word "other" is nowhere to be found?

• Confession
    Confession

I'd suggest that getting into the Trinity--or any specific doctrinal issue--is not going to be effective. If there's one thing JWs are convinced of, it's that they have the definitive understanding on The Trinity. Challenging them on it is only going to cause them to pull out the wealth of info they have in their arsenal (The Trinity brochure.) Flawed though it may be, they're utterly confident in it. I suppose the areas where there is the greatest potential are...

-False Prophecy

-607 / 587

-Scandals (UN/NGO, Pedophilia, Malawi/Mexico)

-The Blood Issue

-Disfellowshipping/Shunning

-(And my favorite) Why would they threaten you from considering information that challenges their claims of authority?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit