Why don't JW friends come over and say hello?

by JH 26 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

When people stop attending meetings and going in the d2d, they are unofficially marked as dangerous association. Thus only elders or rank and file deemed strong enough may be sent to "encourage" the person. But as in marking no socializing, no inviting them over for dinner, no including them in parties or "get-togethers." Unless the start going to the meetings, they are not going to be "rewarded" by bad behavior. They think if you can do those things you can go to the meetings.

*** km 6/89 p. 2 Enjoying Theocratic Association ***

We have been counseled to be cautious in our dealings with men of the nations, unbelievers, and ordinary persons. (See the November 15, 1988, issue of TheWatchtower, pages 15-16.) Why should we have unnecessary social contact with people who still pursue worldly ways and who have not become worshipers of Jehovah? (2 Cor. 6:14, 15) Some who are negligent spiritually may seek out others who also hold on to worldly thinking and ways instead of seeking association with mature Christians who could help them become strong in the faith. They fail to appreciate that attendance at social gatherings with worldly, unprincipled people can weaken their faith and corrupt them.—Compare 2 Thessalonians 3:14, 15.

*** w99 7/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers **

*In what sense would they "withdraw" from him? Evidently, this was in a social context. (Compare Galatians 2:12.) Their ceasing to have social dealings and recreation with him might show him that principled people disliked his ways. Even if he did not get ashamed and change, at least others would be less likely to learn his ways and become like him. At the same time, these individual Christians should concentrate on the positive. Paul advised them: "For your part, brothers, do not give up in doing right."—2 Thessalonians 3:13.

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

I think a lot of this depends on the local congregation. I was associated with some congregations that were very good about stopping in to see the "weak " and encourage them. These were not counselling sessions either. They were just visits. As I was fading, one elder drove thirty miles just to visit me. He didn't counsel or lecture. He said they missed me and then just visited and chit chatted. I actually went back for a while after that. But then I switched back to the congregation I was assigned to...way different story. One of my last times in field service, we passed by an inactive family's house. Someone suggested we stop and say hi. The p.o said no, it was a waste of time, they know where we are, etc. I couldn't believe it. Of course when I quit there was no visit. My mom has been there for 9 years now, making meetings hit and miss, trying sometimes, not trying others, one older sister used to visit her, but since her death 6 or 7 years ago my mom has had no witnesses visit her. She even sees them in service and they skip her house. It is quite sad.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

I have seen different reasons from being clichish but I really believe many of the witnesses are just burned out with so much to do and too many extra unneccessary Biblical obligations they just dont have the time or energy. They are just over burdened with undo activities that mean nothing and they are exhausted.

abr

• willyloman
    willyloman

It's their way of punishing us for not being "good."

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Lol@ becca1…JH, I wouldn't want to stop by either if you resemble your avitar.
    lol!

The harsh reality of it all is that within Jehovah's Org there are many who CLAIM to be servants but are not,

I believe they truly THINK they are acting like true believers however, they focus so much on what the society teaches and forget all about “The Golden Rule”.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Most of my JW relatives have cut me off even though I'm not DF'd--including my daughter. However, my daughter-in-law who quit going to meetings a couple of years ago still has a warm relationship with her JW parents and sister. They ask no questions.

• zack
    zack

The WTS wants you to preach their message and attend their meetings. They pay lip service to the relationship

between people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit