Skeptical of the Apostates Motivation

by The wanderer 42 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer
    Skeptical of the Apostates Motivation

My best friend presented a hard-hitting question about former Jehovah’s
    Witnesses.

He believes that many individuals leave the truth because it is hard; and they look for any miscue to escape the organization and their responsibility to God.

Understanding the Point

He may have a point considering that he still thinks, acts, and conducts himself in the
    “Watchtower” mind-set.
    How would you respond to this question?

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

He's right it is hard - all those man made rules and such. But didn't Jesus say his load was to be light?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Like a "deer caught in the headlights."

• Satanus
    Satanus

Is your friend still a jw, or still believes? I didn't leave because it was hard. I found that what they said would happen didn't. I mean, not just the end of the world in 1975, 1925, but things like doing door to door, praying, meetings, study and meditation on wt stuff was supposed to make me happy. That didn't happen, dispite my best efforts for decades. I can't see it being my fault. Seeing how a lot of jws weren't happy, it means that the wt system and policies are just plain wrong.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

All i wanted was to be happy.

S

• carla
    carla

My jw says the same thing. He can't believe that anyone could leave simply due to it not being the truth and doctrinal issues. No, all you apostates want to do is go out and sin and drink, have sex, and generally be immoral. You can't handle living the jw lifestyle. If he ever gets his brain back I wonder what kind of condition it will be in.

• exjdub
    exjdub

My response is that it is a lot easier to stay in a religion and continue with the status quo, than it is to give up family, friends, and a complete lifestyle (one in which I lived for 35 years) because of the WTBTS's archaic disfellowshipping/shunning process. To be true to yourself you have to walk away from an entire support system, as bad as it is, into the unknown. Also, it is quite easy to remain a JW. You just have to play the game like everyone else in the religion who is living a double life.

exjdub

• free2think
    free2think

INMHO its easier to stay and go with the flow.

Perhaps he is at the stage in his journey out of the org wherein he is finding it hard to deal with and is looking for a noble excuse to go back and thus make it easier for himself.

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

In reply to your question Satanus:

He no longer is a Jehovah's Witness
    but his mindset is such.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Interesting point wanderer. My mother has used this on all of us who left. It total bunk though. For the majority of Jehovah's Witnesses who choose to leave, do so with full knowledge of the shunning consequences. They do so knowing the pain of their decision for both themselves and the people they leave in the book club.

steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit