What MAKES people become JWs----more then anything else?

by new boy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• new boy
    new boy

Its easy.......................Its JWs having sex with other JWs..................Its NOT PEOPLE COMING IN FROM THE FIELD SERVICE! (MOST PEOPLE ARE WAY TO SMART FOR THAT)

How many people here................ come to this "faith" from the "door to door" work?

I was born into it...............the same way I think 95% of the current JWs have come into it!

The last CA I went to.............5 years ago......of 1,000 people there...........2 KIDS stood up to get baptized?....Both of them a product of intercourse............not door to door..........and that was 5 years ago!

Were you born into it?....................or door to door?

You know whats going to happen next?.............................NEW LIGHT NO MORE BIRTH CONTROL!

nb

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

You know whats going to happen next?.............................NEW LIGHT NO MORE BIRTH CONTROL!

Wouldn't that make them just like Catholic's? Bwhahahahaaa!

• abbagail
    abbagail

I don't know about "more than anything else" but I got my first "witness" from a guy at work who was just beginning to study with the JWs... we both worked in a restaurant... he was a cook, and I was one of the waitresses... and he was reading a BOOK one day in the kitchen, and I was shocked out of my gourd that he was actually "Reading" ANYTHING since those were back in the days, age mid-20s, when we all were "wild and crazy" party-time, etc.

Anyhoo, so I asked him, "WHAT are YOU reading?" (Turns out it was the blue "Truth" book). And he began to tell me about the Lord's Prayer, and what it meant, line by line (because I had been raised a Catholic and didn't know squat), I was fascinated that God had a name, that the Kingdom was real, and that God was going to eventually "fix" everything that A&E messed up in the Garden.

Later we took a few hikes and he told me other stuff he was learning all about Nebuchadnezzar and the "march of the world powers," etc.

I went with him to visit some of his JW friends, and when he had a few of them over for dinner and he invited me I went (and really was "impressed" by the prayer before dinner). Also he eventually tried to "sick the sisters on me" during that time frame to set up a study, but I wasn't ready to "commit" to anything, so he gave me a Bible, the green Make Sure book, a blue Truth book, and after a few months when the restaurant closed we lost contact. But I never forgot the few things he told me, so it would be two years later when I actually picked up that Bible and started reading it myself, and a few months after that, then I myself went seeking out the JWs! (By this time that guy had moved away, but all the JWs knew him).

That's the short version...

And one you probably don't hear everyday, lol, that somebody actually went SEEKING OUT the JWs themselves. Duh!
    Live and Learn the Long SLOW Way!

/abbagail

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

I couldn't agree more. I was raised in it, my two siblings were raised in it, and most of the people I know who were baptised were raised in it. And I have not seen one person degress to the state of baptism, unless one of their immediate relatives was a witness. In fact that theory could probably be applied to the very concept of god itself, I don't know of a single person who was raised by atheists and yet developed a belief in god. LtCmd.Lore

• Zerbagain
    Zerbagain

My mother made me - no literally. Born and bred.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Sorry to hear that Zerbagain, it's a shame we can't choose our parents.
    Welcome!

In my case it was to please my mother and to make homelife more tolerable. I failed miserably. It got worse.

• Abandoned
  • nowisee
    nowisee

born in. what i can't figure out is why my father became one. i considered him to be a brilliant man. (my mother was converted by my father, so even though she is very smart, the answer to her conversion lies there.) but when i look back at his life i know his early years must have been very difficult...born into a family that was poor, father never held a job....moved from place to place bc they couldn't pay rent.... lived through the depression.... he must have felt no control over his life. the more i think about religion, and the need to "know the truth" and the need "to be right" about things, the more i think it is an effort to gain control over your own personal reality. just a guess.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Initially it is the love bomb from the elders and the cong. Then it is wanting to belong and be part of something. To be accepted. To be called bro or sis. Then position.

• Smiles_Smiles
    Smiles_Smiles

hmmm???
    Besides being born it ~ once one is old enough to walk away ~ I have often wondered is it also a need to have some type of answers to the 'unanswerable' questions of life. Maybe to gain some type of security blanket and religion (JW) fills the bill.
    hmmm?
    Great question!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit