Toasting is wrong because.........

by Gill 32 Replies latest jw friends

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    maybe toasting is wrong because it is fun?

Yeah, if jws are allowed to toast, they might start having a good time, and the wts wouldn't like that.

• tinker
    tinker

Is that from the latest Feb 15 07 WT?

oh bother, and I really thought they may have gotton over the 'no toasting' issue. My Mom, active JW, when with non-JW family members goes right along with the clinking and drinking - bottoms up and all.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I thought we were always taught not to worry about superstitions...go ahead and walk under a ladder, don't worry if a black cat runs across the road in front of you, etc. We weren't supposed to give into those irrational fears. However, by not toasting, you're in effect saying that you believe clinking your glasses together will keep the devil away??? They don't even follow their own rules.

Swalker

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

It is incredible with all of the silly rules that J-Dubs follow. I always thought they would try to go mainstream, but I am wrong.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I also thought it had to do with giving too much attention to people by toasting them. Like the birthday thing

And we all know that the only ones that are allowed to be made of are the FDS

ps - that first comment about demons "the really dumb ones" was funny

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

... it's just another thing that can make JWs stand out and feel persecuted about, in the false belief that others will applaud their high standards when they are really thinking they are cuckoo!

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Bizarre. Yet wearing a wedding ring is still allowed.

The society may think they are god's favorites, but that doesn't mean they are foolish enough to take on De Beers....

• looking_glass
    looking_glass
    I thought we were always taught not to worry about superstitions...go ahead and walk under a ladder, don't worry if a black cat runs across the road in front of you, etc. We weren't supposed to give into those irrational fears.

I thought the same thing.

Also, I thought they had changed that toasting thing to say it was up to each person and now they are changing that back!

As for clinking frightening away evil spirits. Well alcohol bring spirits forth to be imbibed, so it would seem illogical that a person who fills their glass with spirits would not want them to come forth (pun intended)

• zensim
    zensim

Dave that was so funny - I'm still laughing. And now I feel like a drink too ...

Swalker you are so right, there is no logic, they just make it up to suit themselves and use contradictory reasoning.

I never knew why we didn't do it, in my mind we just didn't do anything that worldly people did. The only reason they haven't completely banned ALL sex and ALL drinking is because there wouldn't be any witnesses - by procreation or because everyone would leave. But I swear ... if they could ...

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Toasting is wrong because........

......it wastes valuable drinking time!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit