Toasting is wrong because.........

by Gill 32 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

Toasting was wrong with Witnesses as it had roots in warding off demons and thus it meant it was superstitious and you know that is a Major NO NO.

• searching4truth
    searching4truth

Toasting may be wrong but getting tosted is totally acceptable just ask any elder on super bowl sunday.

• oldflame
    oldflame

This is what gets me about JW's . They always use the saying that something bad happened and thats why we don't celebrate. Well marriages go bad too so why are they married and celebrating anniversaries ? Toasting to something does no harm to anyone, it's just a jester of respect.

Someone ought to have the governing body submitted to a nut farm, they need some brain help to get them out of the mire.

• 2dothebest
    2dothebest

There are a lot of things in this world that are based around superstitions, idealogy, and so forth. I rather know where these traditions come from and why they are wrong rather than criticize someone for bringing it to my attention. If toasting is wrong so be it. Drinking alcoholic beverages is not wrong. Drinking should be done in moderation just like taking in any other food. Too much of anything can be bad for you. That is why we have obesity. The scriptures in Eccl. 9:7 and 1Tim 5:23 can help you see that. I have associated with Jehovah's Witness for a while, and they have good wholesome parties. I have never seen a fight, people over drinking, abusing spouses or children, having sex parties or any of the other negative things that are put out there. Those who do carry on inappropriately are counseled about there ways. I love honesty.

Jehovah's Witnesses seem to be the only religion that has not given in to all the wrong doing that is tolerated in this world today. The things that go on in the congregation do come out, serious crimes are reported to the authorites, child molesters are sent to jail, and so on. I had my doubt about Jehovah's Witness for a long time, but after doing a lot of research and questioning them and other outsiders I believe in thier organization. Whenever they find out something they are doing is unbiblical, they correct it instead of trying to use the bible to prove why to keep doing wrong things.

• Sgt Pepper
    Sgt Pepper

I remember a Dub wedding where the 'best man' was not part of the org.

After his speach he proposed a toast and raised his glass aloft!

The silent reaction from the embarressed wedding party was deafening! I am ashamed to admit that I also ignored his well meant gesture.

I often wish I could go back and 'clink' glasses with him. Ahh hindsight is a wonderfull thing.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

People concentrate on the "clinking glasses" aspect,
    but there is also the offer of a taste to the gods,
    demons, etc. as a gesture of peace, etc.

This is also where the ritual of pouring out a little
    vino, etc. on a grave came from. Tupac and Biggie's
    friends didn't invent that practice, just so you know.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

People concentrate on the "clinking glasses" aspect,
    but there is also the offer of a taste to the gods,
    demons, etc. as a gesture of peace, etc.

This is also where the ritual of pouring out a little
    vino, etc. on a grave came from. Tupac and Biggie's
    friends didn't invent that practice, just so you know.

• Warlock
    Warlock

You might burn the bread.

Warlock

• cheen
    cheen

Maybe JW's should toast MORE now that they know it will scare away the real demons AKA the GB, elders, MS's, elders wives, themselves, etc.....lol

• heathen
    heathen

I can agree that some religions did practice the drink offerings to God including the jews , I always thought it was about good comradery to toast the host of an event , I never put much thought into clinking of glasses meaning the warding off of evil spirits . I think demons are a little smarter than that so if the intention is to ward them off then how come it's a bad thing? The clinking of glasses could just as easily mean friendship or a way to share the love which does conquer all evil. cheers peeps ...............

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit