Do other religions have questions you're not allowed to ask ?

by A Paduan 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

There seem to be certain unanswerable questions that only "apostates" would ask - ones that sort of send up a flare.

Do other religions have these "you must be the debbil" fears of thought ?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I don't know from experience, but I would imagine most cults would have that kind of rule. It is, I believe, one of the identifying marks of a cult - they alone have the truth, and no questioning of their particular doctrine is allowed.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I would agree that this is a quality you would observe the most in cults, but not exclusively.

In its most basic form it is about what makes a person feel uncomfortable and how they react. Cults absolutely HATE anything that sounds like you disagree with the leader, purpose, or whatever else they hold in such high esteem. This can happen in any conversation with any normal person. I think the turning point is the reaction religions (and people) take to things that challenge them and make the uncomfortable. A healty religion will allow itself to be examined, and even if it is not the most pleasent thing they certainly will not take such harsh action against a person.

More than anything this occurs in organizations where the leaders (or leader) of the organization are viewed as Gods only tools for salvation. It seems that these are the groups that go to the extremems and dont like it when you question their pseudo-proof.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I think group dynamics (from families to nations via clubs, cults, political parties and internet forums) always imply some limitation to the questioning. The larger the group, the more flexible the structure, the broader the "correct" or "acceptable" zone. But there is always a limit. And its transgression will always happen.

Perhaps the problem among JWs is less with asking questions than not stopping at the standard or official answer. In more flexible groups individuals are allowed to dig beyond an unsatisfying answer in search of a better one which might eventually benefit the group. A locked-up structure like the WT doesn't allow that, to its own prejudice in the long run.

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

A proverb I put together awhile back by what I have experienced by my questions seems fitting here...

An unresearched attack or accusation leads one into a battle on the enemies terms....

Questions when used as a weapon lead to answers, lies or silence from opposers.

Perhaps some people don't like to be silenced..or have to make up a lie on the fly to cover up their ignorance?

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

do you think they answer things like politicians ?

ie. an answer that doesn't directly address the question - or even answer something you weren't actually asking

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Having at various times throughout my life spent time in a number of churces - Anglican/Presbyterian/Catholic/Unitarian etc - the biggest difference is that the fear of punishment for asking the question does not exist in the way it does with the WTS. People inside the organization are afraid to be seen reading a 'banned' book, they are afraid of being seen going into a Christian bookstore, they are afraid of being seen in the religious studies section of the book store, or a Walmart or even a library, they are afraid of being caught listening to anything 'banned', they are afraid of being caught viewing anything 'banned'...they are afraid of being caught inside a church doorway or even on the grounds, afraid of attending a wedding ceremony, a funeral - they are quite simply always afraid because if they dare ask a question or seek greater knowledge, they know that the accusation will be apostasy and the punishment will be death by shunning. Most religions instill some guilt in all their members for a variety of reasons, but the JW's add an insane amount of fear to the ridiculous amount of guilt they burden their members with. Very Christ-like.

sammieswife.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i have absolutely no knowledge of other religions..

but.. as a young jw in the 70s i recall several talks and articles (maybe) on the catholic church not allowing their members to read the bible. and other assorted bad talk about catholics that i found out later was either way out of date or just simply not true.

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

ie. an answer that doesn't directly address the question - or even answer something you weren't actually asking

I think thats called a Red Herring and yes the WTS does that all the time.

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

Questions also require a bit of humbleness..and admittance of ignorance that many do not display publically for fear of how they will be seen by others by asking them.

However....if the questioned does not know either..and professes a great amount of knowledge into the subject....things can get very interesting real quick.

Simply put....The Emporer has no clothes on....ever read that book?

That is why questions off a certain topic is steered into privicy.....

If the people break free from the leader's topics and planned discourse..and ask questions he is not ready for...he is in big trouble.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit