What My Parents Gave Me...

by compound complex 20 Replies latest jw friends

• juni
    juni

Well CoCo this is interesting -

My mom was emotionally abusive; I talk w/her occassionally now. I appreciate her wisdom that has come w/age; she is 81 and looks at least 10 years younger. So I thank her for my good genes as I don't look my age. We have a better relationship as two adults. Not a mother/daughter relationship.

My dad bless his heart I thank for inheriting his peaceful, caring, and loving attitude. He died at 66 yrs. old.

Juni

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

My father taught me about playing music. That information I use everyday.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear and Gentle Readers,

Many thanks for your uplifting and touching stories. We truly benefit from our sharing with one another.

Love,

CoCo

• choosing life
    choosing life

I can truly say that my parents gave me unconditional love. When I became a JW, they never rejected me. And when I came to my senses, they never said I could have told you so. I always knew they would be there for me, no matter what happened in my life.

I was a young adult before I realized that my father couldn't always make everything all right. He was truly a rock and always acted out of integrity. Both my parents were dedicated to their children and still are. They weren't perfect parents, but they had their priorities straight and didn't pay attention to showy displays in life.

I know they can never be replaced and I thank God for every day I still have to spend with them. They gave me life and taught me what is important in life.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I hate to bring this down a notch, but my parents have been nothing more than a seriously infected pain in the ass, for me and mine, for the past 30 years. Wouldn't toss a bucket of pig urine on them if they were on fire on the back of my favorite Harley.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

work ethics

abr

• blondie
    blondie

My father was a non-JW pedophile (later a JW pedophile) and my mother an alcoholic JW who allowed him to molest us. With that abuse as the foundation of our lives, I'm sure that none of my siblings and myself can find anything that came out of our childhood that was a blessing we could not have received in a different way.

It reminds me that despite any good things that might, that is might, have come out of our association with the WTS, there were better, and healthier ways we could have achieved those "blessings."

Blondie (not trying to rain on anyone's parade but not everyone had loving parents)

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Black Swan, Stealth, and Blondie,

Thank you for your honesty. It has to be painful as I personally CAN and DO understand. Given my father's penchant for cheerfulness - with a measure of naivete' thrown in - I simply chose to offer a positive approach to the matter. I grew up with "the Beav" [Leave it to Beaver], but my childhood didn't much resemble his. I UNDERSTAND and have empathy despite my positive spin. Laughing on the outside, crying on the inside.

Nobody has rained on anybody's parade. Telling it like it is, IS perfectly all right.

Love,

CoCo

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

You know - re reading this thread made me realise another step forward I've taken in the last year.

Especially your comment about laughing on the outside and crying on the inside ((((CoCo))))

When I did my first reply, I was determined to try and think of something good that my parents gave me besides the physical and emotional abuse - it took me ages to come up with that feeble reply.

Then I just read your reply and remember this is exactly what my counsellor recognises in me - when I'm really hurting, I try to laugh about it or make an excuse why its 'not really that bad'. It's almost like I'm dismissing the fact that I really do hurt.

Taking so long to think of that first reply has shown me that I'm not covering up how I feel as much as I used to. I think that can only be healthy

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I wasn't raised as a JW but I learned Kindness and Compassion from My Mother.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit