How to get a scriptual divorce?

by helncon 15 Replies latest jw friends

• helncon
    helncon

HI,

just wondering on how it is possible to get a scriptual divorce as my dad needs to get one but as much research done i can't see how he can get one but he says he has spoken to some elders and that they have said it can be granted but on what grounds?

I know if you have committed adultery and extreme cases disertion but other that these is there any way else.

You see my mum basically up and left my dad and they have reconciled once but now its definately over and have a legal divorce, so would disertion come under this catorgory? Also my mum has battled mental illness(mainly major depression) for as long as i can remember can he do it on the grounds of mental capacity?

Any thoughts

(me a DF JW grew up as one)

• zeroday
    zeroday

Scriptual Divorce on grounds of adultry ONLY. It's in the BIBLE... Jesus said it...

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Matt 19:6-9 6 So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

7 "Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"

8 Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

The witnesses play by different rules than Christ established

abr

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

The only scriptural ground is adultery. Desertion cannot be used to obtain a scriptural divorce in the org. The only exception that I know of would be if the ex totally disappeared and was declared legally dead at some point. Then, in that extreme case, he could sign a statement acknowledging responsibility for whatever may happen and the elders would recognize him as scripturally free to remarry.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Your dad wants to play by the rules of JW's?
    He is stuck. Tell him to hire an investigator to get proof that
    she has been unfaithful. Otherwise, he can go ahead and
    marry the woman, take his chances with a Judicial Committee
    that they will understand why and forgive him, live with the
    results regardless.

The worst that happens is they DF him. He will get reinstated
    and have no privileges. His personal happiness is more important
    than cong. privileges.

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

Your dad can DIVORCE on whatever grounds the laws of his land allows him. JW permission to REMARRY, however---to pursue another mate---is where his hands are tied, unless or until adultery is committed by his ex-spouse. If there was no adultery during the marriage, then to remain in good standing AND be available to remarry, your dad would have to wait for her to commit 'adultery' after the marriage.

He will be forced to wait until it becomes publicly known that his now ex-wife has had sex with a new man. If she starts living with another man, or stays overnight unchaperoned, or marries another man, then sexual relationship is implied, and your father is free to pursue a new relationship at that point-----and no sooner. That lacivious action by the ex-wife, POST-divorce, establishes her as the adulterousbad-guy and leaves your dad smelling like a rose and swarming with single-sisters' sympathies.

[It wouldn't matter at this point what kind of husband he had been during the marriage and what kind of hell he might have put his ex-wife through that prompted her to leave the failing marriage in the first place. All that matters is that he did not break this one cardinal rule--she did.]

--That was not a statement about your dad, BTW. I don't know him. It was about the unjust and small-minded stipulations the JW's put on happiness.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Tell him to forget the WT rules and do what he will for himself. If he loves this woman and they want to be married, he has EVERY right to as there are no legal or ethical reasons for him not to. This baloney about a scriptural divorce is a bunch of bullcrap and it's pretty moronic to actually tell someone that even though they are divorced for 20 years that they can't get married, engage in sexual activity or even have any companionship with another person UNLESS they can PROVE that the other person did one of those things themselves BEFORE you do it. Utterly ridiculous. According to the society people should remain alone, lonely and celibate all the days of their lives after a divorce - try telling that to a 20 year old that gets divorced after a year - and yes, we all know JW's that got divorced and were forced to live alone and die alone because of the stupidity of this.

The reasons for divorce are no ones business - the action has been completed and its time to move forward. If he gets married, they will DF him but he at least has you as his family so he is in better shape than many. He would also have I assume a great new love in his life to help him adjust. If he takes the other road and tries to find a bunch of (what the watchtower deems) immoral behaviour on your mother, then he is really being reduced just an opportunist, a manipulator and a player. sammieswife.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Sammieswife,

I 100% agree with your post. My comment to hire an investigator was just
    an option to "play by the JW's rules" as I noted before the suggestion.

Notice that I said to go ahead and get married also. I just don't know
    enough of his dad's situation to exclude the JW way to go about this.

Great post- straight to the point.

• Gordy
    Gordy

I once asked a lawyer friend what was the cheapest and quickest way to divorce.

His reply: "A shotgun"

• helncon
    helncon

Thanks for all your replies,

Ok to clear some things up.

My mum has not or even interested in men and i don't think she will ever be with another man (and she isn't gay) since she left my dad so there is no chance of her 'doing' that.

So if my dad has approval from the elders to even get married in the KH so does that mean that he can still get DF?

or what if they do get married but never have 'sex'? Would that be grounds of not DF?

This doesn't make any sense!!! i suppose the whole religion doesn't make sense.

This new woman is a really strick JW right down the line so i'm even suprised that she is taking this path.

Does this make any sense to anyone!

thanks

helen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit