My suicide attempt yesterday...

by Gregor 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

LT i've missed dancing with you

• Gregor
    Gregor

.....someone whose suffering exceeded their coping skills.

I guess that's what it comes down to, coping skills. When you consider the part played by alcohol, the availabilty of firearm or deadly drugs, impulse suicide becomes very commonplace. Who really knows what that persons coping skills were capable of if they were conditioned to reject suicide as a solution?

PS. Sorry to intrude on the welcome back Vivamus thread. Welcome back V!

• troucul
    troucul

Whatever. I thought it was funny. Life is a joke.

• Xena
    Xena

Viv nice to see you!

One man's treat is another man's trash. Same with humor I suppose.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I thought you were going to say you tried to run through a cement wall, yell "OH NO!" as you shatter and spill your inner parts upon small children looking for a refreshing beverage in the hot sun.

Kwin

• Xena
    Xena
    I thought you were going to say you tried to run through a cement wall, yell "OH NO!" as you shatter and spill your inner parts upon small children looking for a refreshing beverage in the hot sun.

don't you hate it when that happens?

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I guess that's what it comes down to, coping skills. When you consider the part played by alcohol, the availabilty of firearm or deadly drugs, impulse suicide becomes very commonplace. Who really knows what that persons coping skills were capable of if they were conditioned to reject suicide as a solution?

We're probably going to have to chalk this up to agreeing to disagree, but I will make one final comment in this thread on this topic. If you want further feedback from me, pm me.

By setting up suicide as a shameful choice, you are making it more likely the person will not want to talk about this choice. Besides that, the mindset of someone contemplating suicide is oftentimes one of guilt and worthlessness. So telling them that on top of everything else, they now have to feel guilty because they are selfish besides, may be what pushes them past their coping skills. And thinking that people aren't going to have the thought because people have made it sound ugly is simply irrational. It does exist and to guide people away from it, it needs to be brought out in the open. Instead of trying to chase people away through guilt, they need help to fully consider what it means.

Anyway, guilt may work with someone. I've never stayed away from anything based on guilt though. In fact, the guiltier I feel the less confidence I have in my ability to stand strong. Guilt undermines self-control and self-esteem.

• hambeak
    hambeak

You scared me dude and that is not funny.

Don't post such things as you know you are loved.

• Schism
    Schism
    After listening to "I Feel Good" several times, including a half hearted attempt to dance to it

Oh my god, I almost fell onto the floor laughing!

And this:

Thanks you 2, I needed a good laugh.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    After listening to "I Feel Good" several times, including a half hearted attempt to dance to it

This cracked me up, too. I'm guessing you hunched your shoulders and wagged your head around - the mental picture is hilarious - LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit