My suicide attempt yesterday...

by Gregor 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

I have to admit, the topic title made me think "wow, pathetic attention seeker", the post itself me me laugh.

The subject of suicide, gawd, that subject just makes me cry. I have come out of a relationship with a man who regurarly said "i will not live beyond 40, life is just too damn hard, it's not worth it, i will end it" - in various ways and means. It made me panic, and hurt me, and made me panic. Why would he do that, how would i go on without him, why would he say that ... etc etc.

I can only imagine the total feeling of emptyness someone must feel to consider suicide. But i can even more understand the feeling of loss their family and friends have. I cannot condone it, i cannot feel sympathy for those that do commit suicide. And i will never consider it to be okay.

(((Mouthy))) i have missed talking to you.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

This title hit me because two days ago my neighbor was in front of my door, crying and telling she would prefer to be dead. At the end, I called the police. They spoke to her and said to me later she was just seeking attention. Strange situation.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

{cleaning my eyes} VIVAMUS! Welcome back. [My regards to your mother as well.]

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Thank you! And i will be sure to give my mum your regards. How have you been?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Mouthy))) i have missed talking to you.

VIV!!!!! Welcome Back. Happy New Year. I missed you & your MUm thank her for her Card. ((((HUGS to you & Mum)

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

I will Big kiss for you Mouthy, one of my favorite good and kind people

• mouthy
    mouthy

Thanks for the vote of Confidence !!!! would you tell my JW daughter that please !!! I want to cuddle her before I kick off ((((HUGS)))

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Things come as they come. But sooner or later every one sees the thruth about things .

But i hope you will be able to cuddle her soon

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    Frankly, your replies come across like a defense of suicide as an understandable solution to some peoples misery. Of course I feel empathy for people who are in dire emotional pain! But I feel that considering suicide should be DISCOURAGED by all means, including the use of strong words to condemn it. Call it 'tough love'. After all, it's too late to do anything to help AFTER the act. People who are at the end of their rope need encouragement to keep struggling, not told it's understandable if they choose to kill themselves. I respect your viewpoint, it is quite common. I just don't think it is of help.

I had to read this twice before I realized that we agree more than we disagree. I think the main area where we disagree is where to place the focus on the suicide: on the person suffering, or on the mess left behind afterwards. Both views are selfish as they disregard the intense feelings of the other. I do tend to side with the sufferer. Waking up for days, weeks, whatever on end, finding zero joy, pushing with all one's might to just be -- the pain, in my opinion, is indescribable.

I can understand the pain of those left behind too. It may be as much as the person who was suffering. I don't know. I do know that if the person's loved ones could understand the level of the pain, maybe they'd be happy he is no longer suffering. My brother died in 1998. He had epilepsy for about six years and had a gran maul seizure in an enclosed space and choked to death. Pretty horrible way to die huh? Now it wasn't suicide and my brother wasn't suffering all of the time like those who have severe depression, but after seeing how the seizures affected him and how they limited him, while I'm in no way happy that he is no longer someone I can see and touch and hear, I am happy that he isn't suffering. Call it a coping skill. Call me heartless.

What I object to is calling suicide a loser's way out. Doing so will not deter someone who is actually in danger of trying it but it is going to perpetuate the false idea that a person who does end their life is a coward. The family of someone who commits suicide should be left with the memory of their son or daughter, brother, or sister, mom or dad, not as a selfish coward who abandoned the family, but as someone whose suffering exceeded their coping skills. Why do they have to have this negative view of their loved one when their loved one did try to hold out and did try to put up with what they were going through, but finally ran out of the means to cope?

It's disrespectful to all this person accomplished before their depression and it's disprespectful to the family by robbing them of a sense of closure.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Hi Viv, you've been missed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit