Why be obedient to god?

by nicolaou 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bernadette
    bernadette

The same reasons why you should be obedient to your parents, your vows if married, ect... LOVE, love should be the motive for it, if not, you will not follow obediance for the right reasons. We are prone to selfishness and unless we fight that quality and do it because we should, it wont last.

abr

Abr, should we still be obedient to our parents/mate if they are cruel and demeaning?

b

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

As much as I dont want to experience cruel behavior or mean actions, Just becasue God has allowed it doesn't mean that he is the reason behind it. If he has caused it or ordered it, it is His right, he owns the planet/universe and everything in it, including us. He also has the power to undo any damage or hurt, He is not human. So as I read your question, and having the power of free will, if you want to hate a person then that is your option as it is my option to choose to love this person that everyone keeps pointing the finger at and blaming. He is not a genie that is there on OUR command, He is God and has more understanding, knowledge and power than we can imagine. He will do what He chooses at the appropriate time and not at our complaining. I choose not to blame Him but rather wait on Him, it isn't like any of us can spin the planet faster and get where we are going any sooner then we are. We are all waiting, in the mean time, I will take my side with God.

abr

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

abr, do you not feel any hesitation at making a post like that? You made seven assertions seemingly without feeling the need to justify any of them.

As much as I dont want to experience cruel behavior or mean actions, Just becasue God has allowed it doesn't mean that he is the reason behind it. If he has caused it or ordered it, it is His right, he owns the planet/universe and everything in it, including us. He also has the power to undo any damage or hurt, He is not human. So as I read your question, and having the power of free will, if you want to hate a person then that is your option as it is my option to choose to love this person that everyone keeps pointing the finger at and blaming. He is not a genie that is there on OUR command, He is God and has more understanding, knowledge and power than we can imagine. He will do what He chooses at the appropriate time and not at our complaining. I choose not to blame Him but rather wait on Him, it isn't like any of us can spin the planet faster and get where we are going any sooner then we are. We are all waiting, in the mean time, I will take my side with God.

Please don't impute hatred to me, I never said I hated god. Also, don't assume that I am waiting for some 'cosmic event', I'm not. Now try and understand my question.

Given that god is infinitely wise, kind and loving - why should I obey him? It seems bloody obvious that I should doesn't it?! But God actually demands obedience, he even threatens death to those who disobey. Is that his right? What rights do I have? Or did god not give me the right to choose? Seems to me that the god of the majority wants nothing more than mindless automatons.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Who ever said you had freewill in the matter?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I DO!

I am Nic', and you better friggin' believe that I have free will baby!

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

"But God actually demands obedience, he even threatens death to those who disobey." - Nicolaou

Hierarchical control methods. How else can you force ignorant, superstitious people to obey priesthoods who cannot show the face of their god(s) except through the use of idols, magic tricks, and made up stories (holy scriptures?). Government and religion unified to enforce human law as coming from "god(s)". They say, "God made this law. You may only sacrifice in an approved location. Failure to comply will result in death."

These control methods have been very effective in appropriating the energies of the masses to the benefit of a relatively few humans. Only in the past century or two have governments been able to effectively maintain control without appealing to their "divine right".

Put in perspective, no one alive today is obedient to god(s), just man made control structures designed to control through fear, desire, and attachment.

Dave (who hopes his scattered thoughts on the matter make some sense)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nic:
    You only think you have freewill. After all, you're just a bunch of chemical reactions contained in a sack of water, directed merely by an evolutionary preservation instinct, right?

Your obedience is to your (admittedly complex) programming, right? That aint freewill...

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Whatever you choose to believe about who God is, the Bible says that God is our Father and loves us;

1 John 3:1a Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God:

Just as a loving human parent will set boundaries for their children for their children's own protection, God has done so for our protection. It is our choice of course to obey and keep the boundaries or not. It is our choice to accept the love He offers or not.

Matthew 22:37-39 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Is loving a hard commandment to obey? Even if one is not a believer in God, isn't it the right thing to do anyway?

• Undecided
    Undecided

I don't have free will to live, only free will to die. It's out there looking at me now and there is nothing I can do with my free will to avoid it.

Maybe we were put here to see if we appreciated life enough to receive it in another realm. We can only speculate.

Ken P.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I am always obedient to god.

Whatever god tells me to do, I do!

But when some imposter come to me claiming to speak for god, I crack his noggin open with a hammer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit