Why be obedient to god?

by nicolaou 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Ross:Nonsense! I have a soul, a conscience, a sense of morality and purpose - or do you think that these things can only exist if a Creator is there to place them inside me? I also - most definately - have free will.

I am more than "just a bunch of chemical reactions contained in a sack of water". Why do you think that the lack of a Creator would denigrate the human condition so? Here I am Ross, as human and 'divine' as any other man or woman who has ever lived. I don't have the creativity of Da Vinci or the mind of Einstein, but I share my origins with both of them whether those origins stem from the mind of god or the force of natural selection.

God is not needed to explain me and I certainly owe him no obedience, I do however owe human warmth, kindness, love and fuzziness to all my friends here!!

Happy New Year!!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

There's an interesting hypothesis. Let's just take the example of a "soul". Where do you get the idea from that we have a "soul", if not from some preconceived idea provided by one ancient people or other? Are you working from some consensus approach (social conditioning)? You surely aren't going to try to tell me that you believe 21st century science has identified a "soul" part of a human being, are you?

I'll be interested to see where you go with this one...

Bliadhna mhath ur!

• Morocco
    Morocco

Good topic. If God were to let me know he existed I might obey him. Ask any Christian if they believe in destiny or free will and they will give you a little bit of both. Yay for free will because God gives us choices – but, er, everything happens for a reason – God took a loved one from me – it’s all part of His plan. No body knows, not even the bible. The bible teaches both indirectly. You ask why God makes such demands, “obey me or die!” Those aren’t God’s words, those are the words of men using the idea of God to control their nations. What they secretly mean is “obey the God I created, who controls you through me, or else I’ll kill you and said God told me to.” Reference any part of the Old Testament you want. I’m not obeying anyone who claims to speak for a creature that won’t speak for itself. Until God proves he is there I will enjoy life for what it is.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    You surely aren't going to try to tell me that you believe 21st century science has identified a "soul" part of a human being, are you?

Nope, but then there must be plenty of things that science has yet to discover or identify. I have never held science up as being 'all-knowing' that's gods job. I suppose it matters just how you define the 'soul'. Not for me the supernatural belief in a 'spirit' or 'essence' of the individual that lives on after death. Rather, the soul that is stirred by beauty, love, art and all the other wonderful, inspiring experiences that are unique to humanity.

I have a soul.

le deagh dhùrachd

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

God asking for obedience...

Either he gave us free will and wants us to behave as if he hadn't.

Or he did not give us free will and he is just kidding.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nic:Kindly help me understand how you distinguish your version of "soul" from chemical-based emotional responses wired into the complex coding of your neurons.

Didier:That "God" guy is some kidder, huh?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Beautifully simple and erudite as ever Nark'!

Assuming we have free will we are all then able to act or make decisions as we see fit, the counter balance is that we are also morally responsible for those actions or decisions.

Sorry, but I just don't buy these convoluted and 'fuzzy' arguments against the existence of free will. Did I choose to make this post or didn't I?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Kindly help me understand how you distinguish your version of "soul" from chemical-based emotional responses wired into the complex coding of your neurons.

I could but I don't wanna! . . .

Oh okay. I cannot explain to you just how my soul (as I perceive it) came to be there and yet there it is. One day I may find the answer or perhaps others will. That god created me with a soul is one option but one that I have discarded as untenable - I may be wrong. However, I feel no shame in sometimes saying, "I don't know". If 4.3 billion years of evolution have hardwired my chemistry to produce what I currently experience as my soul then that is truly an awesome and humbling thought.

I've been a long time in the making!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Just like I, you just couldn't help yourself

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I know, I know - it's just too much fun. Simon really should set up a 'chill zone' where we can all come down!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit