Why be obedient to god?

by nicolaou 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Really, I mean it - why? If a creator god is real and he is the source of life well then I would certainly acknowledge that and give him thanks for my existence and for the universe I live in. But obedience?

I think of it this way. My Mum and Dad gave me life, ensured my education, looked after my health and wellbeing, loved me, taught me the value of kindness and friendships and so much more. I will always be grateful and I will never stop respecting them. However, I won't always obey them.

As a grown man with a wife and three children of my own wouldn't it be a bit odd if I always, unquestioningly obeyed my parents? In truth, the instances of disobedience are rare but they have happened. We all still love each other and my parents haven't decided to bring their vengeance down upon me and smite me into nothingness.

Why does god make such demands of us? Why is it, 'obey me or die'? Does god actually deserve our obedience? If you think so, please, please tell me why!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

If God were really loving and all knowing, it would only make sense to obey him. The rules he provided would be ones that would lead us to the happiest, most productive lives.

Our human parents on the other hand are clearly not all knowing. Sometimes they may lay down rules that are meant only to serve them, and not to make our own lives more enjoyable. (They might say, "No, you can't play in the mud" because they don't want to wash your clothes, not because it's bad for you.)

If I believed God existed, I could see obeying him. Or rather, I could see doing whatever he says because it's the best thing to do.

Proving that God exists, let alone that he's loving and all-knowing, would be the hard part!

Dave

• forsharry
    forsharry

what a great question. :)

I used to think this...god created us in his image right? And look what we've done...war, murder, etc. We've done some interesting things too...but ultimately we breed and destroy. In 'his' image, right? So obidience is earned at least in this case, out of fear. Fear of destruction.

I don't obey something because it's there. I obey things because they make sense, socially, morally, psychologically. As a matter of fact, to disobey god is to be godlike, because we were 'created' in his image, no? You think god can stand a bit of irony?

Forsharry of the "And if he wrote the script, then why the trouble-maker?" Class

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

I'm an atheist, I see no reason to beleive that god exists. But if I did, I doubt I would obey him.

Yeah, he created the universe and life and all that, but that was just a tiny fraction of his power, and he did it thousands of years ago. So why would I spend 100% of my power, and my entire life doing what he says, simply because he did something nice to my ancestors?

Like you said, my parents did way more for just me than god ever did for all humanity, but I wouldn't consider doing what they say for my whole life either... And yet some people turn against their own parents to serve god. I don't get it.

They say it's love for god, but we all know it's just the rewards that they want. If some total stranger could give them immortality they'd follow him instead. I call that cheap friendship.

LtCmd.Lore

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    If I believed God existed, I could see obeying him. Or rather, I could see doing whatever he says because it's the best thing to do.

Dave, what if that god is the Abrahamic god that lurks behind Judaism, Christianity & Islam?

The account of Abraham being instructed to murder his son is a good example. The reasoning goes that Abraham, by his willingness to show total obedience to god in this command proved his loyalty and thus 'passed the test'.

No way! Abraham failed the test - spectacularly! You must not always obey god.

• bernadette
    bernadette

lots of reasons Nicolau

complete security

maintain our own human definitions of god

keep religious authority going

remain childlike

never have to take responsibilty for ourselves

need i continue

bernadette

• Satanus
    Satanus

If god spoke to me and had some kind of relationship, then i could see obeying him/it/her. That would make more sense than living out of an old book. As well though, god would have to do the same thing w a lot of other people, because, if he spoke to just a few people, it could be that those people would just be crazy. As it is, the very existence of the jewish/islamic/christian god is in question.

S

• robhic
    robhic
    As a grown man with a wife and three children of my own wouldn't it be a bit odd if I always, unquestioningly obeyed my parents?

How about taking it one step further: With a spouse and kids (any number will do), whose parents would demand or even try to get obedience from that child?

As long as you are no longer under their roof or dependent upon them, they have no right to expect obedience to their rules...

OK, maybe obeying rules of conduct and respectfulness while in their home but other than that, I don't think so.

• poppers
    poppers
    Why does god make such demands of us? Why is it, 'obey me or die'?

Because the god that makes such demands comes out of a book written by men - that god isn't real. The feeble minds of men claim to know what "god demands". How can a limited mind know a transcendent god?

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

It's best for you spiritually to go along with the good in you (as long as there is) - that of you which isn't confusion - be who you are meant to be - as in "I am who I am"

some say 'be true to yourself'

I believe that's what it's about

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit