Should I get an iPod? What do you use yours for?

by Elsewhere 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Odrade
    Odrade

podcasts, audio books, music of course. I have a bunch of ambient music on there for work. (outcalls.) so I can set up at the client site (massage therapy) and have "massage music." I also have a flat set of folding Altec-lansing speakers.

It's not an IPod though. It's Creative's Zen MicroPhoto. 8gig flash drive. I love it. The only drawback to the Creative is that all (and I do mean ALL) of the accessories are made to fit the IPod.

Like you, I don't listen to music that much... mostly talk radio, NPR, lectures, etc. MP3 players are great for that, but I don't know that I'd spring for a 60 gig HD unit just for that.

P.S. what Terry said? Ditto for the Zen. Recorder, easy drag and drop file transfer, supports many formats, Radio tuner, easy menus...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My husband got me an iPod Nano last year. I really like it. I use to use it when I was working a night job at Target but just after I got it it was banned - so called safety reasons I was stocking freakin shelves in the sanitary pad isle for goodness sake . So I haven't been using it much but plan to start downloading podcasts from NPR of the programs I like but keep missing.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I got the ipod nano and I really enjoy it for listening to music and storing contact info, notes and stuff in addition to listening to music. I like the fact that the accessories you just about endless. I got another mp3 player I got a couple of years ago; the Gmini that is 20GB in size and I thought I would just store all my music there and I did use it for exercising but I didn't have extras that the ipods have and the sound wasnt as loud as I like however I prefer the nano for what I use it for; it's smaller, no removable parts and wont crash like hard-drive mp3 players do since it run on flash memory and the control wheel design is much easier to use. I do need to get used to using itunes though. Even if you dont listen to music a lot there are so many other things you can do with an ipod; it's just deciding on if you want a regular one or the nano.

• Confession
    Confession
    Odrade: "I also have a flat set of folding Altec-lansing speakers."

Me too, Odrade. That's what I travel with, and am listening with right now. Not a bad little speaker system. It's held up to the rigors of my suitcase and 46-week per year travel schedule.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Does the iPod Nano not have an equalizer?

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Elsewhere, if you like NPR, you should check out the podcasts available on iTunes. They're free and you can listen to them at your convenience.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

yes, the ipod has an equalizer inside the system and you can set the volume limit on it also; I was surprised the volume power it has

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    The earplugs which came with iPOD stink. You'd have to be an elephant for them to even fit in your ear openings. Plus, the sound quality is abominable.

With all due respect to Terry, I think that all the dogging of the stock earbuds that come with iPods is greatly exaggerated. I find their sound quality to be perfectly acceptable.

I use mine for Podcasts and music. The University of California at Berkeley has a large number of course lectures available on iTunes, I subscribe to several but my favorite is History 7B with Professor Jennifer Burns. She's an excellent lecturer.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I an expensive i-pod better than any cheap mp3-player?

• poppers
    poppers

My brother just gave me an iPod for Christmas that he bought used on eBay - He loaded up a bunch of music onto it from his computer, but what I really like is that he also put a bunch of books on it as well. I've been listening to a book on Carl Jung - fascinating. He also put a bunch of podcasts on it, and subscribes to a podcast on zen which interests me. By the way, the one he bought sold very cheaply because it didn't work, and get this...to fix it he put it in the freezer! So if you find yours doesn't work, before getting a new one see if freezing it solves the problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit