Should I get an iPod? What do you use yours for?

by Elsewhere 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

If I were going to be a shill, I'd push the Ipod along with the Apple Care Protection Plan. (Don't listen to that latest Consumer Reports study on extended warranties )

Objectively, the Ipod + Itunes are a nice combo. But Oober-geeks love to maximize what they can do. You get as much versatility and even more functionality from other mp3 (and mp4) players for less money. Until it was stolen, I was personally using an mp3 player made by SanDisk.

Whatever you do just please please please please don't buy the solution coming from MicroSoft.

• restrangled
    restrangled

However, I've been hearing more and more about the iPod devices. Recently Nike released the Nike + iPod device for runners, and I have to say that really caught my attention... but I'm just not quite ready to drop $149 - $200 for an iPod Nano. When I look at the Nano at the store I keep thinking it's grossly overpriced and really should cost only $89.

Elsewhere...it seems to me that your ideal solution may be an Ipod Shuffle. Because it has no moving parts, it is ideal for runners and for working out. It costs around $79.00.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm not so much interested in the music as the add-ons, such as the Nike + iPod device. That thing will track your workouts, give you verbal prompts while you run and chart your progress.

I wish Nike made a device that worked with more than just the iPod Nano.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm sitting here wondering if Apple will work with Polar to create a Nike + iPod that will also receive data from Polar Heart Rate Monitors. Put all of that into one package and they'll have one hell of a device.

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

I'm not so much interested in the music as the add-ons, such as the Nike + iPod device. That thing will track your workouts, give you verbal prompts while you run and chart your progress.

I wish Nike made a device that worked with more than just the iPod Nano.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6613892

-Doodle-V

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm not too worried about being tracked using the RFID. I'll only use the transmitter while running, otherwise I will remove it from my shoe which will turn it off.

As far as I can tell, the transmitter will work for 1000 hours, which will be a disappointing surprise for those who want to keep the transmitter in their shoes all the time. After that it will need to be thrown away and replaced. Once again Apple does not believe in battery replacement.

Hopefully MIT will come to our rescue with a new non-radiative energy transfer technology. Basically it is a wireless power supply that could be used to recharge cell phones, iPods, laptop computers and other things that are a nuisance to plug in for recharging. If the device is within 5 meters of the wireless power supply it will receive power. http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2006/wireless.html

• Princess
    Princess

If you are wanting to track your workouts, check out the Garmin Forerunner 305. I don't have the newest model, Steve bought me one for my birthday last year. It has a built in heart rate monitor that will give you audio prompts to keep you within range. You can run with a virtual training partner, it lets you know when you are falling off pace, tracks every run and it's a GPS system so it gives you pace and distance, averages, etc. I love mine. I can also use it on my bike, which is great because my bike computer blasted apart on a big ride last summer. Speed, distance, time, averages and heart rate monitor. What more do I need?

I also love my iRiver. My son just got an iPod Nano from his aunt for Christmas, he's 10. I was going to buy one for my daughter but decided to go with the Sansa M240 1Gig in pink for her. She's 8 and I cheaped out because I fully expect her to trash it or lose it. I did buy the replacement policy from Best Buy for an extra $10. I was able to replace my iRiver after it started failing and was able to upgrade and get another 2 year replacement policy on my new one all under the old policy. Sweet deal. So far, the Sansa is the easiest to use.

Rachel

• free2beme
    free2beme

I have won two and do not use either one of them, still sitting in the box on the other side of my computer. Not a big music fan. So if you ask me, just another thing you are told "you must have" to get more money out of your paycheck. Mine make good book ends though.

• Terry
    Terry
    With all due respect to Terry, I think that all the dogging of the stock earbuds that come with iPods is greatly exaggerated. I find their sound quality to be perfectly acceptable.

You are the first person I've encountered who liked the earbuds which came with the player.

I'm not sure how a person exaggerates whether they like something or not. The fact that a new purchase of new earbuds is involved would tend to convince me how serious these "doggers" are about their opinion.

I had two problems with the Apple earplugs.

1.My ear canal is small. Those plugs are like volleyballs to me.

2.The music sounded rotten when I used them. I do a lot of critical listening because I'm a composer. I have to A/B sound constantly to get exactly the timbre and presence I'm looking for. The Apple earplugs vitiated the sound spectrum. I bought some Philips plugs instead and the low bass and the high treble popped in easily.

Warning: Always be very cautious about listening too long with earbuds or headphones. Hearing is easily damaged. Especially is this true in noisy enviornments where one is tempted to crank up the volume to conceal the ambient sound.

If your ears have a ringing to them when you take the buds out---you are in big trouble!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit