Should I get an iPod? What do you use yours for?

by Elsewhere 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Let me start by saying that I am not a music fan. I hardly ever listen to music and almost never buy CD's and my car's stereo is almost always set to NPR or some other news station. I don't even have a stereo system at home... simply because I would never use it.

However, I've been hearing more and more about the iPod devices. Recently Nike released the Nike + iPod device for runners, and I have to say that really caught my attention... but I'm just not quite ready to drop $149 - $200 for an iPod Nano. When I look at the Nano at the store I keep thinking it's grossly overpriced and really should cost only $89.

Other than listening to music, is it worth buying an iPod? What do you use yours for?

-Elsewhere, of the Oober Geek Class.

• juni
    juni

Dear uber geek,

I love my I Pod. It does everything! Meal planning, home security, filing, and makes a great cup of coffee!

Juni

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Sure, but does it do the dishes?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

You checked out Craigslist yet?

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

I don't have a ipod, but a 2 year old iriver mp3 player. I can record lectures(excellent mic), display pictures and movies (with a flash upgrade), play mp3's (I listen to college lectures, music, and podcast such as NPR or elder recordings, ha ha), and listen to FM stations. I also use it to transfer large files sometimes (20 gig harddrive). It really was a great purchase and when it goes, I will promptly buy another.
    It is the sort of thing that you find uses for... plus if you get the ipod, you can satisfy that nagging feeling that you are not with it... (emotional branding advertising)

• jgnat
    jgnat

I just bought an MP3. I loaded it with Christmas music so I could get "in the mood" without disturbing hubby. I like it!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Dear Oober Geek,

Today, I got a pink iPod Nano and am enjoying it already. This is my first mp3 player, as I have been techie-challenged lately. I see myself using this at the track for sure. I have been told by a colleague who runs that he likes having the iPod for runners. This thing is so little and light that I can carry it with me anywhere. Will soon set up my personal playlists.

I say go for it! (Yes, I agree with your pricing point)

LS of the "geek lover" class

• jgnat
    jgnat

Mine is kind of like this. The idea that the USB port is built-in attracted this Ooober Geek.

• Confession
    Confession

Elsewhere,

I enjoy my i-Pod quite a lot. Don't enjoy music? Prefer talk programs? Here's an idea...but first an attempt to help you understand a bit more about the i-Pod--and the accompany software you'll get with it (i-Tunes.)

There are LOTS of radio-style programs you can download. They call them Podcasts. I-Tunes lets you subscribe to these podcasts. Then all you have to do is open up your i-Tunes software (while connected to the internet) and whatever podcasts you've subscribed to will automatically download into i-Tunes. Then simply connect your i-Pod to your computer with the little USB cable they give you, and these podcasts will quickly and automatically upload into your i-Pod. You play them back whenever you want to.

You can use the little earphones many use. Or you can get a little speaker system like the one I have. (It's portable since I travel every week; I just set it up in my hotel room.) You can even get a simple patch cord for your stereo system if you like.

It really is a beautiful device, and the accompanying i-Tunes software and podcasts are sort of revolutionizing our music, radio and general audio lifestyle. I'm suggesting to you that it's worth the cost.

Best,

Confession

• Terry
    Terry

I had a video iPOD last year. I ended up giving it to my daughter.

It was okay. But, the whole iTUNES format makes loading the damned thing a pain in the ass.

I now have an iRIVER and love it much better.

Why?

The iRIVER is an mp3 player, FM tuner, digital recorder. It has a built-in equalizer for fine tune the sound. It has such easy and intuitive controls which you can adjust while listening.

The best part, for me, is the fact you can load any file you want using a USB connect right off your desktop or any file on your hardrive as easy as clicking.

This is unlike the horror of iTUNES and the iPOD rigidity.

The iRIVER has such an easy toggle switch which you can use with one hand and without looking (once you get accustomed to what does what.)

What I think an MP3 player is for is listening. The earplugs which came with iPOD stink. You'd have to be an elephant for them to even fit in your ear openings. Plus, the sound quality is abominable.

I bought a set of Phillips earplugs which actually fit in my ears and have protective flexible sleeves on the plug part.

The whole video thing is kind of silly when you get right down to it. Why would you wish to watch anything worth actually watching on a 2 1/2 screen in the first place. You have to have ideal lighting conditions not to have glare and you can't read any text, subtitles, etc due to size.

It is all pretty much a matter of taste.

All I use my iRIVER for is the odd moment when one of three things is going on.

1.I am about to go to sleep and I want to listen to the BBC news in bed.

2.I'm standing in line somewhere and wasting my time and want entertainment.

3.I'm listening to a Podcast or finishing a radio show I was getting into while in my car on the way somewhere.

But, just listening to song after son? Naw. I'm not a kid anymore.

check it out:

http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit