When Did You Know You Could?

by tall penguin 11 Replies latest jw friends

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

In the preface of Dawkins' latest book, "The God Delusion" he opens with this:

"As a child, my wife hated her school and wished she could leave. Years later, when she was in her twenties, she disclosed this unhappy fact to her parents, and her mother was aghast: 'But darling, why didn't you come to us and tell us?' Lalla's reply is my text for today: 'But I didn't know I could.'

I didn't know I could.

I suspect - well, I am sure - that there are lots of people out there who have been brought up in some religion or other, are unhappy in it, don't believe it, or are worried about the evils that are done in its name; people who feel vague yearnings to leave their parents' religion and wish they could, but just don't realize that leaving is an option. If you are one of them, this book is for you."

I was in tears reading this. I spent my life not knowing I could leave the org. When I realized that I could, it was a huge relief. To know that I had the option of getting off the roller coaster anytime I wanted was a source of great power.

So, what about you? Do you recall that moment when you "knew you could"? Perhaps it was a mental leap first before you actually left the org. Tell us about it.

tall penguin

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Wow. What a question. I left, I da'ed. But I da'ed after a lot of pressure by family. I am very glad I did it, as I doubt I could have continued much longer without getting df'ed in absentia as I refused to meet with the elders.

I didn't think to myself, "I can leave". I left because there weren't alot of options for me that was going to alleviate the stress.

Instead, months later (fairly recent) I finally snapped and thought...

I am No Longer a JW so why am I afraid still? What more can they do to me?

And then I really left.

• skyking
    skyking

Never know I could until I was in my mid 30's. I knew I could get kicked out but not leave by my own accord.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

It was so immediate for me, it hardly counts. I was looking at some web site talking about the Flood as being impossible. It sort of clicked in me that it was IMPOSSIBLE. Over the course of that evening and the next day, I watched all my faith dissolve. My final prayer to God was that day, asking him for a sign. A serious, no-kidding-around, unambiguous sign that he really exists and is interested in me. I opened my eyes and a bird flew down and landed on the bench next to me. He looked at me, I looked at him.

I looked up and said, "No way. Not NEARLY good enough." Needless to say, nothing more overt was forthcoming.

That's when I knew I was done. That's when 'I knew I could'.

Dave

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

So, what about you? Do you recall that moment when you "knew you could"? Perhaps it was a mental leap first before you actually left the org. Tell us about it.

I think the moment comes sometime after one reads positive thinking or self enlightning, self help books, which I am sure the society opposes. When the student is ready the teacher appears.

• vitty
    vitty

Do you think he would write about the JWs......................if he had enough ppl E-mail him????

Just wishful thinking

• kid-A
    kid-A

Interesting topic, Penguin!

Thinking about this, I cant seem to recall such a moment or epiphany. I think it was more akin to coming to a point (gradually) where I knew I could not continue to believe in any of the nonsense anymore, be it watchtower theology or belief in any religious notions in general. In that sense, it was a breaking point of mounting disbelief and not even a choice on my part.

I think the primary difference between my still believing relatives and me is that I simply could not repress the doubts any longer.

• vitty
    vitty

And to answer your question.......I felt trapped for years . Trapped in a life style I didnt want and trapped in a concept, I believed in but had many, many doubts. I was in a quandry.

I had established our life. My family, then my siblings, mother, nieces etc. I had brought them all in with me. How could I then say I had doubts, or worse LEAVE the truth? I couldnt, I had imprisoned myself

Then I found the TRUTH, and it set me free, to a point. Im still trapped. But in my mind im free

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

...about 24 hours before I *DID*.

I was a senior in high school. Was sitting in my drama class and it was like a lightning bolt struck me. It was like a flood of empowerment and from that moment on, nothing could stop me from finding happiness. It was like you say... until that moment it had never ever occurred to me that I could do anything else but take what decisions were already made for me.

The next day I was on a plane headed for Alaska to live with my Mother whom I hadn't spoken with in 8 years. (She was Df'd and outcast from the family)

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

After disfellowshipping, as the dust settled, I realised that the world was still turning and I was actually feeling pretty good. I also realised that it was their problem, not mine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit