God Is Love

by under_believer 24 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Don't you get it? The New Testament is telling you that God is love. The old testament obviously is not speaking of the same god. In your heart of hearts and in your deepest intelligence, you know that a loving God didn't do the things written of in the old testament. Those are things that Satan would do, not God.

To me, this is a no brainer. A god who would do the things mentioned in the OT would have good reason to be jealous of the loving and benevolent god spoken of in 1 John 4: 8. A Satan god like the one you quote is not worthy of anyone's service. Jesus came and served. Satan thinks only of himself.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

According to JW teaching God allowed Satan to question his way of ruling, and patiently allows the facts to speak for themselves. How can that be when he has such a temper and takes any afront to his magesty as a great insult, even the violation of a something as minor as the type of garments one wears he wants them to be put to death, or when someone tried to steady the arch of the covenent Jehovah's anger blazed against him and he was put to death. The Creator of the universe surely must have more important thing to do than try to direct the lives of his worshippers in minute detail as we see in the Mosaic law. He is a jealous god the bible says, what does jealousy, and the rage it causes, have to do with love? "Love is not jealous" the bible tells us

This Jehovah acts as if his whole existence depended on everyone honoring and worshipping him, which is in fact true , for when people stop letting fear of him motivate thier worship he gradually fades from existence, because he is after all just imaginary, created in the minds of men. For how could someone so great as the bible god is supposed to be,, be so concerned about what people think of him, that he threatens death, and destruction if not obeyed and worshipped. Sound like he was paterned after some of the despotic kings that lived durring the time he was dreamed up.

• ringo5
    ringo5
    FHN : A god who would do the things mentioned in the OT would have good reason to be jealous of the loving and benevolent god spoken of in 1 John 4: 8.

John indicates that letter was not written to women though,

1 John 2

13 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.

14 I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

so unless a man has revealed that to you, it's non-admissable.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Apologies for repeating myself, but the same circle (if not the same author) which produced the "God is Love" motto also produced the following:

Everyone who does not abide in the teaching of Christ, but goes beyond it, does not have God; whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. Do not receive into the house or welcome anyone who comes to you and does not bring this teaching; for to welcome is to participate in the evil deeds of such a person.

I'm not sure we're doing love a favour by calling it God.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

It looks to me like different people or minds or inspiration that did not know each other and are not on the same page wrote the bible. It does not appear to be a book in aggreement with itself. If you look and see a world of confusion and kaos you might conclude that a confused kaotic god wrote the bible or a bunch of priest cast lots on which books to include in the bible.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Great post, under_believer!

How wierd that some people consider Jehovah to be all loving!

Sirona

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Ringo, frankiespeakinm, under believer, and all those that I have ticked off by my personal belief in a loving God. I am sorry that I have upset, I have had seen plenty in my life, I don't feel that God loves me and not those who live in parts of the world that are war torn or people starving. I have seen plenty of hard ship. You can read my post and see that I too was put through the ringer as a witness. At age 6-8 I was sexually molested, had my father hold a shotgun to my head. my parents put me up for adoption at age one only to change their minds at the last minute. I had my ex cheat on me as a witness, seen the elders make sure I buried my mother with a broken heart as they tried to DF her 19 days before she died of colon and liver cancer, seen my sisters husband cheat on her and get her DF'd, stole her kids away from her. Was df'd for just simply moving on with my life after my ex cheated on me and walked away exonerated in MENS eyes. I have been cheated monetarily and many many other things in life. Had to put myself in a mental hospital for two weeks and months of therapy as my TEAM of therapist said my childhood was the worse they ever heard of. But never did I blame God for it, it was humans who did it to me. And if I have to suffer in this life time, for one lifetime, it does not negate the fact that their is a God who can and will wipe all this from my mind and heart. If I held a quarter up to you and asked you what you saw, if you said heads, you would be right but to me i would see tails, and I would be right. Depending on where we stand in life both can be right, from my standpoint I am right and from yours you are right. SOOOOOOOOO to ME, even with everything I have gone through in life, to me there is a loving God that has not caused the horrific things that I have experienced and I know that one day he will make right what all of mankind including your anger and hardship that was caused by other humans to be erased. Trust me, I have seen hardship and know pain like most probably have not had to know. But that doesn't mean I don't have faith in the one who hasn't caused it. I wish you all the best and respect your viewpoint and hopefully you can do the same for me. take care and wish you well

• Terry
    Terry

God is a lot like what we put on our plate when we go to an all-you-can-eat buffet. God suits our personal tastes. God reflects more of what we are in our deepest parts. We project our entire selves into that magnified SELF and call it "God".

So, what we are willing to allow god to be and still be thought loving is the extent to which we are dissonant with our own profoundest values.

Show me a person's God and you show me the best and worst of that person.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Dear Biblereader,

What I feel you are no getting here, is that just because people find the diminutive Bible interpretation of "God" to be inadequate and vile, does not mean they do not have a love for the Divine. In fact the very opposite may be true. I for one stopped reading the Bible because I could not accept it's limited little deity as the true Source of an infinite universe. I knew that our real Source and Sustenance, must be far greater still.

That you find solace in the Bible god, so be it. Just don't think all the rest of us are God-hating fools because we don't.

Peace to you, dear; and again I have no desire to offend you.

j

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Terry and James, I aplogize for any misunderstandings on my part. I have read and reread your follow posts several times to understand what you are saying completely. I will be honest that I don't completely but to the extent possible, you believe in a god but perhaps not the God of the Bible. I don't know if that is from the witnesses or what but it is also not my job to judge anyone and I apologize if I came off that way. One of the problems with me and my small mind is I can't completely understand and read people. I was also not lashing out at you and please don't take it that way. I was just trying to say that I know pain and suffering, but to me it was not the fault of the God that I worship in the Bible. I understand you, that you have a God that you feel is supreme, but not the same God that I worship in the sense of Him being the author of the Bible. I feel that religion is as Karl Marx put it " religion is the opium of the people". I see religion doing more damage than good in many cases, not all. My heartfelt desire for all of us, that one day we can all find peace in God, whether it be Jehovah or whoever and that one day, when all the dust settles, the True God will have revealed Himself as the loving God that He is and everything that all of mankind has suffered will be explained to our simple minds and satisfied as to why it happened and be removed so we can all move forward in worship of the One who does deserve it. I honestly believe that there is no way of completely understanding what and why things happen and that whatever God has in store for us. None of us can figure it out now, but what is coming will be beyond our wildest imaginations to our benefit. Peace to all of us.

abr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit