CHRISTMAS: December 25th DOES have a Biblical foundation! CHECK IT OUT!

by Lady Liberty 50 Replies latest watchtower bible

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

WOW! This is great info. I'm taking notes! Even if we put all this aside, I always thought JWs should celebrate christmas because its such a kind and fun holiday.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Lady Liberty, I am once again overwhelmed by your research ability and knowledge. If those elders had known this beforehand, they would have avoided at all costs coming to your home. As you showed, you can blow them away!

momz

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

I remember reading about how the Mithras celebrated this time as the "Birthday of the Sun". The Mithras pre-date the Christians, and were part of (if memory serves me correctly) Constantine's amalgamation of beliefs that gave us Christianity as we know it.

Basically, the celebration of something around the solstice appears to be common event, up to and including today.

Merry Christmas!

steve

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I'm still a 'junior' here. Have there already been massive threads about why nearly every 'celebration' was removed from Watchtower regardless of any 'pagan' issues? My search didn't hit anything about the rather cult mentality reasons.

Sorry, I have a hand injury, so I'm typing way slow. Plus, I've been very busy these days leading a double life and all...

• reniaa
    reniaa

Erm why doesn't the bible simply tell us when he was born if it wanted us to celebrate it using half a dozen pagan origin "Christmas traditions" that we no longer know why we do them?

• reniaa
    reniaa

I also want to point out that however we may justify it, Jesus has very little top do with why we celebrate Christmas, it's definately an in name only thing, I only have to ask one question to show this.

Would Jesus approve of the way we celebrate christmas if it is to be something we do in his name?

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway
    Would Jesus approve of the way we celebrate christmas if it is to be something we do in his name?

That question could be asked about any number of things, could it not ? For instance, Would Jesus approve of those who expel others from the congregation for reporting a pedophile in their midst ? Or for taking blood ? Or for questioning issues regarding doctrine such as a socalled "Governing Body" arbitrarily making life and death decisions for millions of others ? Or policing the bedroom ? Discouraging education ? Pronouncing end of the world dates in his father's name ? Forming a union with the Wild Beast ? Forbidding beards which he himself wore ? Discourage charity ? Remove a man for low "field service" hours ? Mark as "worldly" and unchristian a woman who wears a nice pantsuit instead of a dress ? Shun those who celebrate the birth of their child ? Etc...

• loosie
    loosie

So we should put on some barry white music and well you know. That gives new meaning to the words " keep doing this in rememberance of me"

• reniaa
    reniaa

That question could be asked about any number of things, could it not ? For instance, Would Jesus approve of those who expel others from the congregation for reporting a pedophile in their midst ? Or for taking blood ? Or for questioning issues regarding doctrine such as a socalled "Governing Body" arbitrarily making life and death decisions for millions of others ? Or policing the bedroom ? Discouraging education ? Pronouncing end of the world dates in his father's name ? Forming a union with the Wild Beast ? Forbidding beards which he himself wore ? Discourage charity ? Remove a man for low "field service" hours ? Mark as "worldly" and unchristian a woman who wears a nice pantsuit instead of a dress ? Shun those who celebrate the birth of their child ? Etc...

So your answer is to make a strawman arguement of my question?

its a simple question with a simple answer, The rights and wrongs of witness practice is not on the table here just Christmas and my question is still unanswered.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

I think that some people have been reading too many of JCanon's posts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit