Do you remember the first anti-JW site you visited on the internet?...

by Hecklerboy 36 Replies latest jw friends

• kid-A
    kid-A

It was Kent Steinhaugs "Watchtower Observer". It was an excellent site, very comprehensive and tons of downloadable and scanned documents. After that I discovered

Randy's site, Freeminds.org which was and still is a first-class site.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Comments from the Friends. When I left the organization back in 83 I happened upon their or his news letter sometime after 83. Back in the 80's Comments from the friends was really the only support I had in leaving the Watchtower. Then when the internet became popular I found the web sight.

• xjwms
    xjwms

freeminds was mine then lead me here

Should have done this much sooner

Wish I knew more about the internet at an younger age.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I had not even lurked or posted on an exJW site before this one- and my first post here was over 25 years after I left the Witnesses. What happened was this chance occurance:

I had a friend here at work (sometime early last year) who got into some issues with quack medicine and fake religions. Just to get some outlook, I did a search on "quack medicine" + "cults".

What I was really looking for was something on that book that Kevin Trudeau was hawking at the time on magical cures the doctors don't want you to know. What should pop up but numerous references to the open practice of various forms of quackery on the part of the Witnesses over the past 100 years or so. BTW, The "religion" part came up because Trudeau sells his mailing list to the Illuminati cult if you buy one of the books. I was looking for a corroboration of this for Richard, hence doing that kind of search.

It just so happened that at this same time, my old friend Marion Dunlap had died in Oklahoma (one of the last of the stalwarts from the days of Ray Franz, Ed Dunlap, and others). I thought that it might be a good thing to say something about him and his brother on one of the ex-JW sites and found this one after searching on EX Jehovah's Witnesses.

It seemed like a good place to get some current news on the cult, about which I had kept up with very little after all these years.

James

• detective
    detective

Well, the first site I visited (and naively posted on) was an active JW site. I had some basic questions about Jehovah's Witnesses since I had a certain attachment to one of them. Seeing as I was not a Jehovah's Witness I was promptly and unceremoniously told to leave or be booted. heck, I didn't even have enough of an inkling to stir it up- I wasn't "in" so I was out. It was a gigantic slap in the face. I was appalled by the rudeness.

Then I found Beyond Jehovah's Witnesses. That was an excellent starting place. Wow- Jehovah's Witnesses who would actually hold a coversation with you there! Imagine my surprise! Errr, okay... eventually I got it!

• choosing life
    choosing life

Ditto

Timothy Campbell's site. I remember looking at the essay about how to destroy your faith. Wasn't sure it was the right thing at the time, but led to Franz's books which both opened my eyes wide.

The gentleness, yet persuasive essays written by TC I am sure helped many people. I am thankful to him.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Timothy Campbell's Beyond Jehovah's Witnesses. I think I read every single page. It was amazing, it walked me through every step of leaving, in a way. I really needed that. Also read a lot on Channel C... posted there for a little while too.

GGG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit