Is the Watchtower really this decietful? Say it aint so. Really?

by icocer 22 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• icocer
    icocer

I found this page that list what they believe are their top 10 deceptive quotes in the "Should you believe in the trinity" booklet. The site is trinitarian. My itention is not to prove or disporve the trinity, it is to find out if the watchtower is really this decietful. In your opinion is what this site saying about the Watchtower qouting practices valid?

www.bible.ca/trinity/trinity-jw-deceptions-top-ten-list-start.htm

This is their top ten list, the site actually goes through the entire booklet. Another question I have is, has the Watchtower totally misquoted the early church writters on the Trinity subject?

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Uh, yeah, they really are that deceitful. When I was researching parousia and double checking their quotes from the Reference Bible, I was pretty amazed with what I found.

Sad but true.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

IT ACTUALLY GETS WORSE. Try doing the same with "Life; How did it get here by Evolution or Creation" published 1985 by the WTBTS -same again - selective quotes, misquotes and down right deceit

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The Watchtower is REALLY THAT DECEITFUL.

I found these- #1, 3, 7, 9, 10 particularly clear on how they
    misquote the person or mislead the reader.

If I were to have a discussion with a BOE or the GB and quote
    atheists or scientists or Chrisian theologists,
    they would dismiss anything I said unless it agreed with
    whatever they believed.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Most of what they write in the first place is academically dishonest in that they do not provide proper references and or quotations to support their views; when they do provide a quotation its often taken completely out of context.

Their publications are written to look good to the uneducated or disillusioned but when you read it through critical eyes the circular reasonings and attempts at mind control are obvious.

Yes the WTBTS is that dishonest!

DB74

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings Icocer and welcome to the Forum!

I haven't gone over the Trinity brochure personally yet, but there are posts and articles available that can answer your questions. The situation you describe is that of dishonest scholarship, with the emphasis on the DIS. The CREATION book is another publication whose references in the bibliography have been dismantled - sources were misquoted, vital thoughts omitted, and the author's true meaning obscured. I saw both Drs. Mantey and Metzger (Bible scholars) interviewed on videotape, and they both decried WT methods. I believe it was Dr. Mantey (I read a copy of the letter) who wrote the Society a sort of "cease and desist" warning about ever quoting him again.

Honest mistakes? No. Retractions and apologies are not usual (an occasional acknowledgement, perhaps) within the realm of WT policy. Persecution of THOSE WHO CONTINUE to ask honest questions is modus operandi.

Keep seeking and you will find!

CoCo

• icocer
    icocer

This saddening and maddening. I have this guy at work who I know would be the kind of person who would be a best friend type, but I know he views me as an opposer. I dont care what he believes I just want him to do his HOMEWORK. Sorry, off topic.

I wanted to see the opinions from the eyes of former JW's, that this site was being honest about their research. Thanks for responding and thanks for information on other publications. Google with some specifics on searches can lead to some great finds.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I wanted to see the opinions from the eyes of former JW's, that this site was being honest about their research

By the Way - I am currently an active JW believe it or not - for how much longer I do not know as I do not like deceit and I am being deceitful by remaining a JW. even though I try to persuade myself I am engaged in Theocratic Warfare

• icocer
    icocer

StillXElder. Well I thank you for being a mole. The way I see it you are saving peoples lives.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

icocer,

Welcome. Nice link there. Yes, it would be absolutely in line with Watchtower Society "journalism" to do exactly this - quote only those portions of a book, chapter, paragraph or even sentence that agrees with the point they're trying to make while leaving out anything that disagrees with Witness teaching. The infamous WTS elipses... They frequently have partially quoted a source in such a way as to give exactly the opposite meaning of what the person being quoted actually was saying.

I'm a professional journalist, and part of the reason I left the Witnesses was because of their unethical journalistic practices. In any legitimate publication, WTS writers would be fired and vilified for these acts.

On an interesting side note, I found it amazing that your link showed that most of the writers the WTS quoted to prove that the trinity is of pagan origin were actually saying that ALL of Christianity is essentially from pagan religions - something that I'm coming to more and more understand and believe. Whoever is running that website defends the trinity by dismissing these scholars because they question any kind of supernatural origin for Christianity or Christian teachings - not because of a lack of scholarship. His/her reasoning is absurd - a prime example of "truthiness" at work (I have a gut feeling that Christianity comes from God, so, despite all evidence to the contrary, it must be so).

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit