Convince me to move to your State (U.S. Only)

by liquidsky 39 Replies latest jw friends

• exjdub
    exjdub
  • Florida It rains way to much to be named the "sunshine " state. How about we call you the "It's raining, so let's go hang out at the bar and watch the hot waitress'" state. There are some beautiful people there.
  • I have to respectfully disagree, although I will say I do prefer California. I was born in California, but moved away when I was 9 and have always wanted to go back and live in Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo....but too expensive.

Florida is actually quite dry in the fall and winter. From October until April it hardly rains at all. In the summer it can rain every day, but usually rains every 2-3 days but only for a brief hour or two. After the downpour it dries up quickly and the sun comes out to a refreshed and green landscape. I love New Smyrna Beach!!!!

I travel every other week to North Georgia for business and find it to be very nice. Housing is still very reasonable (a customer of mine just bought a 3/2 house on an acre of land for 135K). I like Ellijay, Chickamauga, Dalton, Ringgold, Trenton. Just over the border from Chickamauga is Chattanooga, TN. Very nice town, but a lot more expensive than GA.

exjdub

• Plummet
    Plummet

How about New Mexico?

No state income tax

Thats a new one to me, I wish it was true http://www.state.nm.us/tax/oos/PersonalIncomeTaxFAQ.pdf

For more info you might try

http://www.newmexico.gov/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico

Info On Albuquerque http://www.cabq.gov/

http://www.balloonfiesta.com/

http://exponm.com/cms/index.php

It is really a nice place to live

• roybatty
    roybatty

I live in Chicago. Well, hum...It´s about 0 degrees right now. We have a corruption tax of several thousand dollars a year per person, no one really knows for sure (that´s the assumed cost of the Daley administration´s payments to friends, family, mafioso types etc.) The Cubs will break your heart every year. Our last governor is in jail for selling driver´s licenses to truckers who couldn´t pass the test or didn´t care to try. Our current governor is going to jail (my opinion, too long a story, let´s just say his little daughter got a $1500 check for her birthday from a ´friend´who had just landed a government job, cool huh?) Can´t park anywhere. Cops are really rude, intimidating and vulgar at times. They like to drive on the sidewalk right behind you, while you scurry out of their way. God help you if you give them a dirty look for that. Michael Jordan is just a dream. When the cold leaves there will be about 30 minutes of nice temperatures before a heat wave of 90 degrees sets in.

On the bright side, if you like Vietnamese, Indian, Korean,Polish or any other kind of food you can get it. There´s a lot of work and I love hearing all the foreign languages spoken around me. It´s still a Midwestern town, so people are closer to being friendly, even though it´s a big city. It´s close to my parents (whoops, you don´t know them, they´re nice folks though, you should really stop by and have a chat with them.)

LOL! Born, raised in the western burbs (lnow in the far west burb) but you're right about Chicago & IL in general. Even with all the curruption, IMO Chicago is the best city in the country. The culture, food, sports, music, lakeshore drive, etc.. but still the feel of a midwestern town. The skyline alone is simply awesome. One bit of advice though, give up on the Cubs.

Regarding the curruption in government here in Illinois, it's just become a way of life. Kinda sad. I believe (esp. in Chicago) that people simply feel as long as the roads are plowed, garabage is picked up and crime is low that someone needs to get their palm greased. It simply amazes me that year after year the Feds come in, bust a buch of crooked politicians but still the next batch are just as bad. Case in point, out current gov.

Ah, but Illinois is my home and Da Bears are my team.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

South Central Pa, no hurricanes, rarely do we hear about tornadoes, no earthquakes, rolling farmland, PA ranks only behind Fl for tax benefits to retired people, homes still resonably priced, close to Balt, Washington, within an hour or so from major metrop areas, plenty of amusement parks. A lot of history here, Gettysburg and the Civil War, plenty of lakes for water sports, mountains within an hour or so, only about 8-10 inches of snow for the last 7 year average, you can golf year round. Not too hot in summer with heat waves or humidity, beautiful country side, with in 3 hours from beach, 8 hours from the Carolinas that for a nice Myrtle Beach vacation.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

Wow! There is so much to choose from! Thank you all for the info.

The cost of living in seattle is very high and so are taxes, so we are pretty used to that aspect. It would be nice to get away from that, but since we are looking warmer weather, I don't think we'll be able to escape it. Unless we move to Texas. My husband and I me be able to work from home full time, so that is why wer're looking at moving to a nicer climate.

So here are my top picks:

1. Hawaii - Do I need to say more?

2. Florida - Been to florida a couple of times and absolutley love it. I don't care if there's hurricanes. I love the weather, the people & the beaches of course.

3. California - Beautiful People, Beautiful Weather, Beautiful Landscapes, Beautiful Beaches. Waaaay to expensive, but probably worth it.

4. The Carolinas - Nice beaches, houses, Beautiful landscape & architecture. Weather isn't so bad either.

5. Pennsylvania - Maybe not warm enough, but it's a pretty state. I love the architecture..

6. Texas - Warm & Cheap! Sounds like most people love it there, so I don't think it would be a bad pick.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

maine is cold and dark except for a coupla of months in the summer...no work..no crime..if you live here,you need to be self sufficient and like the cold and dark...i wouldnt recommend it.unless you are only here for april through october.than,except for the tourists,going 23 miles and hour,and the biting blackflies,its ok,,the best thing about maine is that there are no poisonous snakes of any kind.nothing in the woods will hurt you.you can sleep barfefooted in the swamp and you might get a few mosquito bites.altho,if you want to sleep barefooted inthe swamp,you might want to have yer meds tweaked..harharhar...ive traveld the north seacoast a bit,and i really dig the carolinas.nice weather,supernice folks,and you can get a good cuppa coffee.my next move will probably be there..california would be my top choice,but its just too expensive...but it truly is the most beautiful place ive seen..big sur..the redwoods..mmmm..but ya gotta have lotsa cash..good luck!!!and good for you for making a change!!!!!if you are interested in maine,after the info ive given you here,pm me,and i can give you more gristly details..

• Sailor Ripley
    Sailor Ripley

Sorry for the delay.

6. Texas - Warm & Cheap! Sounds like most people love it there, so I don't think it would be a bad pick.

#6? What the...? What is the College BCS? j/k.

I am native Texan. Love it. A lot to do, see and be. Good economy, good job market. Good real estate for investing. I live in a great city, a lot of great food, music and people. We have more bands here on a Tuesday night than Nashville. Great schools. We have 11 colleges in my town alone. We do have a lot of Calif's moving here and buying. Whatever. Bring it on. Did I mention Roller Girls, Roller Derby? It's awesome.

I would suggest instead of getting a palacial mansion, get a smaller house in great neighborhood and invest in some rent houses/flips. You'll be set.

Come Visit! said in my best Travel Channel voice. Other than nice climate what do you want? I can't quite discern from your posts. Let us know when you're coming and we'll show you around.

p.s. It can be hotter than the hinges on the gates of hell in August but so what, go swimmin' @ Barton Springs. It's cooold!

p.p.s I just saw the below. Uh, okay, maybe, if you hang out with jerks. Not the norm for Austin. Maybe in some backwoods poophole (vidor), but there's probably a robber/stealer/killer or two there too. The good news, you're not gonna be hangin' out with those kooks.

but I heard enough of racism there, though
  • reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Texas is ugly. It has a lot to offer like being cheap but the rest of the southeast has that to offer.

I would reccommend you stay away from TX, LA, and MS ... stay more in Tennesee (nashville), Carolinas... Alabama is pretty cheap but I am not sure about their goverment. Georgia is beautiful and pretty cheap too.

Stay about 45 minutes away from a city in the southeast and you will get a bargain on a house. Some of the areas around North/South Carolina and Tenn have beautiful mountains. Then North/South Carolina both have beaches too. I think Virginia is quite beautiful too. It has the Blue Ridge and Montecello and Williamsburg.

• Sailor Ripley
    Sailor Ripley
    Texas is ugly.

Ouch!

Texas is big (254 counties), as someone else wrote above, and has a lot to offer. We have 7 different, distinct regions. Surely we offer something that's "pretty" to you.

Texas Proud, Tried and True! You can be too. With a State Motto like "Friendship" you can't be blue.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well I consider myself an honorary Texan. I love that state. No state has as much diversity as Texas. You have many regions of the state that are totally the opposite from the other. Texas has mountains, beaches, desert, piney woods, canyons, the great plains. It has a southwest flair to it. The Texas BBQ is awesome, the music is catchy. There is so much to see and do there. If I didnt have any family I would move to Dallas/Ft.Worth in a heartbeat. The Dallas area has alot of "pizazz" It is kinda like a cross between Nashville and Hollywood. Dallas Texas has more shopping malls than anywhere in the country. Everything is available there from upscale (Saks, Neiman Marcus) to gigantic flea markets. It is an upbeat city, that doesnt look as run down as other large cities. Before you up and move on a whim, go and visit there at least once, whatever you choose. I would suggest a visit to Dallas for the next Apostafest and really get a feel for the area. Also Amarillo is a close second for me. It definitely has an "old west" feel to it. Just outside of Amarillo is the 2nd largest canyon in the United States. What can I say, except Im really hooked on Texas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit