Convince me to move to your State (U.S. Only)

by liquidsky 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Mystla
    Mystla

I can't help you, I think washington and oregon are great and if we move to a different state it will be alaska! We like the cooler weather and hate the heat, though, so.. like I said, I can't help!!

My husband (Pridefully Alaskan) likes to tell Texans that they have "a nice little state" (duck)

Misty

• return visitor
    return visitor

I've been living in North Carolina for a while now... can't imagine ever leaving... climate is mild... not much rain and even less snow... I especially love the seasons. it's spectacular here. Go west and you're in the Smokey Mountains go right and you're at the beach (Atlantic Ocean). If your husband plays golf this is paradise. More golf courses here then anywhere.

• blondie
    blondie

It's warmer than it has been historically but it is still a cold state compared to Washington State (were you rained on?)

How about New Mexico?

No state income tax

Just outside the tornado belt

No earthquakes

A variety of eco-systems: forests, mountains, plateaus, deserts, rivers, lakes, snow but not too cold

Blondie

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

California is the one and only place to be. Affordable or not depends on one's standards. Northern, is cool and lush. Southern is deserty and has many desirable amenities. Central is hometown like and simple. Pick your poison...it is all good in california.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Whatever you do, don't move to East Tennessee.

50.5 degrees and clear skies @ 9 P.M.

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

mmm, i like the house onthe pond.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Florida is warm. We have hurricanes and sink holes. Home insurance is hard to find. The traffic is bad. It is a tropical paradise. 61 degrees 9:14 pm.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well Missouri - is pronounced Misery

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

Indiana.

Specifically, Lafayette. West Lafayette is famous for the excellent engineering school Purdue University. We also have a very advanced campus of Ivy Tech Community College. I have taken computer classes there for several years now and am finishing my degree. I'm very proud of our computer gear and networking labs and especially our Cisco networking program. Of course I'm biased since I work there as the network lab tech. for the computer program. Our particular campus tends to be a pilot campus where new programs and classes are tried out for the entire state. In one of our networking labs we have about $100K of Cisco networking gear in one wiring closet. Not bad for a little ol' community college! Nothing like walking into a little 6'x10' T Com room and seeing four full floor racks of Cisco gear! Enough about my school though...

The landscape arounf Lafayette (and for that matter most all of Northern Indiana) is a bit flat, with lots of corn, but Indiana has many wonderful state parks to visit that change up the scenery a bit. Lafayette is a great city. Very friendly. Crime is very low and taxes are fair. Although we are centered between Indianapolis and Chicago (approximately), both of those large cities are close enough to us to get the benefits (reasonable drive to either), while not getting the negatives of big city life. It is possible to live in Lafayette and commute to Indy or a number of other cities around about.

Lafayette is growing and has a great mix of agricultural, industrial, and because of Purdue, high-tech industries. Our biggest problems are a lack of vision on the part of city planners which has led to traffic congestion issues at some points, and urban sprawl. However, driving in Lafayette is a dream compared to Chicago or even Indy. The problems I mentioned are not due to corruption or mismanagement (for the most part), it was just an issue of a city that was - maybe 20 years ago - mostly focussed on agriculture, and has now exploded with industry. We are playing catch-up sort of with the infrastructure. Those things are improving.

For an idea of the infrastructure upgrades going on, we live 12 miles out of town and get broadband internet...from our co-op phone company...and still get a rebate check back from them many years. Kind of cool!

Weather here is variable, but tolerable to most people. Summers tend to get into the upper 90s and humid, and winters get down into the teens with occasional bitter wind chill due to deforestation (farm fields are not bordered by trees, so the wind cuts accross everything). Spring and fall are lovely, and everything is a riot of color at those times of the year.

Come visit our state some time and I'm sure you'll find us Hoosiers to be a friendly bunch of people who will welcome you with open arms!

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Well, I can't recommend CA (esp. San Francisco Bay Area) because things (like houses) are PRETTY expensive. But the climate is the best you can get. Not too cold, not too hot and clean air. Texas sounds nice (cheap housing prices), but I heard enough of racism there, though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit