One True Religion?

by blondie 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• CharlieBrownsLovelyDaughter
  • jgnat
    jgnat

Very nicely put, Blondie. Great find. Bikerchic, I changed my view of God's ownership when I pondered the verse,

Psalm 50: 9 I have no need of a bull from your stall
    or of goats from your pens,

10 for every animal of the forest is mine,
    and the cattle on a thousand hills.

11 I know every bird in the mountains,
    and the creatures of the field are mine.

A farmer might ask, "When did I hand my cattle over?" But it's not like the farmer can stop God from taking the pick of the herd, can he? In the same way, I believe God claims all that is good in this world as his own.

But His ownership doesn't come in chunks. Like, "The Sears Tower is Mine." or "These WTBTS folks are the lone six million of Jehovah's people on earth." It's more like - "That baby-kiss is MIIIINE."

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

I'm reminded that during Christ's time the Jews were divided up into various sects or denominations. They had quite different views and harshly disagreed in these areas. Yet Jesus didn't pick one and say it was the true religion and the others are false.

Why would any Christians expect it to be different today. If CTR said anything that made sense it would be that there was truth in all religions, falsehood too.

The WTS maintains it is the true religion but it revises its beliefs every decade. If it is true now then it wasn't true before. Visa versa.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings Blondie!

Some favorite thoughts:

"In those days there was no king in Israel [Governing Body in Brooklyn]; every man did what was right in his own eyes [was free to serve God as his conscience dictated]. Judges 17:6, New American Standard Bible, Reference Edition, A.D. 1963

God is not impressed with real estate and printing presses.

'Some brothers are so caught up with the Truth that they push others to do what they do not wish to do.' Near-verbatim comment from 30-some-year-old WT.

"Peter began: 'I now see how true it is that God has NO FAVOURITES, but that in every nation the man who is godfearing and does what is right is acceptable to him.'" Acts 10:34, The New English Bible, Standard Edition, 1970

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible WITHOUT SURRENDER be on good terms with all persons. Speak YOUR TRUTH quietly and clearly, and listen to others, even the DULL and the IGNORANT; they too have their story [fairy tale]." DESIDERATA, by Max Ehrmann, 1953 (?)

Supplemental text and emphasis: CC

Forever Free,

Compound-Complex

• Kaput
    Kaput
    If CTR said anything that made sense it would be that there was truth in all religions, falsehood too.

And as Charlie T. himself once said, "A truth presented by Satan himself is just as true as a truth stated by God." July, 1879 issue of Zion's Watch Tower, the "What Is Truth?" article. Who are we to argue with the indomitable Russell?

• V
    V
    The test for each christian to develope a personal relationship with God and Christ and allow God's Holy Spirit guide their thinking and actions.

This is exactly why JWs will not comprehend the reasoning of the article you posted.

The JW is subordinate to the organisation (specifically the Governing Body) in all things. In no circumstance would the JW believe that they could go directly to Jesus as their authority.

That there has "always been an organisation used by Jehovah" is a doctrine pounded in the mind of every JW.

Thank you Blondie for exposing this programming in every WT study review you write.

• esw1966
    esw1966

I TOTALLY agree!!!

I LOVE Christian FREEDOM!!!

I have learned that the more I put Jesus on the 'throne of my heart', the happier I am and the smoother things are. I LOVE the two community churches I go to each weekend! I think Christ wants to use us in relationships and that can come through church or at work.

Having Christ means having the Spirit operate within and through you. So JESUS owns us and no church. When church takes Christ off the throne of it's heart things begin to go bad and it turns into a 'man' thing.

In the end, it's ALL about JESUS! There you will find your joy!

ps - an interesting podcast that talks about this matter is 'The God Journey'. I find it very interesting. They are amusing. It helps me to see that it all is about - Jesus, love, and relationships. You can't go wrong when you follow that.

Much success to you all!

Ethan

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

I still struggle with the idea that God could be working through individuals scattered in numerous denominations. The case for this is weak scripturally, just as many on here can argue that the case that God has only ever worked through one 'organisation' is equally weak.

But when I went to some other churches after leaving the organisation, it struck me how totally insular the JW view is. Here I was with other 'Christians' who seemed more kind, decent, and 'Christian' than any self-satisfied JW I'd ever met. These were REAL people that loved God and appeared to have some connection with Jesus that I had never experienced before. They weren't all raving nutters speaking in tongues and rolling around the floor; just good, clean people who love Jesus. Although I am still bothered at their services by their obvious confusion about who God is (I remain a firm non-trinitarian), I can see that they really are genuine Christian people serving God the best way they know how. Surely Jesus still feels love for these people, despite their having some false beliefs.

Perhaps it is all about relationship and not religion after all. It's all about love not doctrine. I'm still working my way through it....

• NoMoreMeetings
    NoMoreMeetings

Hi Blondie,

One true Church. Anyone who believes in Jesus as Lord and that His Father raised Him from the dead will be saved.

That's why I'm no longer and elder and I pastor a non-denominatinal church.

Blessings,

Pastor Ron

• Satanus
    Satanus

I find it funny how yall say that anything within the christian label is ok, as if god is denominational. You are only one step away from being exclusivist like jws or some narrow christian denominations. If christ leads you to god, fine. Imo, most any religion can lead a person to a spiritual state where 'god' may possibly be discovered by them, provided a person does not remain static. Theology is just a ball to kick around.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit