One True Religion?

by blondie 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

Interesting topic from BeliefNet

Itstrue1Jn51312/14/2006 11:54 PM

1 out of 2

Taking the position that Jesus Christ is, in fact, the Son of God who paid the price for our sins, I dont believe our affiliation with any Christian religion "gives a person an 'an edge'" in their approval by God and Christ. I believe that there is a distinction between being a 'religious' person and a 'spiritual' person.

The primary goal of all religions that claim to be Christian is self-preservation.

Preserving the faith is central to God's plan; preserving particular religious institutions is not. Do not expect those who run the institutions to be sensitive to the difference. God needs no particular person, church, demonination, creed or organization to accomplish HIS purpose.
    God will make use of those christian religions, in all their diversity, who are ready to be used, but will leave to themselves those who labor for their own needs.

Nonetheless, questioning the institutions, for many, is synonymous with attacking God--something not to be tolerated. Supposedly they are protecting God; actually, they are protecting themselves, their view of the world, and especiality--their sense of security. Their religious institution has given them meaning, a sense of purpose, and, in some cases, careers. Anyone perceived as a threat to these things is often met with some "force" by the institution.

Religious institutions express their power most clearly by enunciating, interpreting and enforcing the rules, e.g., through 'excommunication','disfellowshippment' or other shunning procedures.

The test for each christian to develope a personal relationship with God and Christ and allow God's Holy Spirit guide their thinking and actions.

http://www.belief.net/boards/message_list.asp?boardID=28082&discussionID=545601

• codeblue
    codeblue

Very interesting Blondie

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Thank you Blondie for posting that.

Very well written, it applies to all religion, churches, and denominations. When it becomes a crime to question the religion, it is time to walk out the door.

Edited to say: However I don't agree with the statement about the primary goal being self preservation..I'd have to think more on that but when something like the Salvation Army comes to mind, their primary goal is to feed and shelter the homeless.

• blondie
    blondie

I understood that to mean the preservation of the religious organization, AK.

Hi codeblue.

I just thought it was well-written that God is not dependent on any religious organization, quite the reverse actually.

Blondie (not agreeing with everything but thought it was a fresh outlook)

• skyking
    skyking

Thought crimes are bad I like how it states: synonymous with attacking God--something not to be tolerated. So true.

• xjwms
    xjwms

I have to agree, .... a fresh outlook.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I thought your point was very well-put too, Apostate Kate...."When it becomes a crime to question the religion, it is time to walk out the door." A very easy principle to keep in mind.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Now here is a contradictory statement if I ever saw one:

Preserving the faith is central to God's plan; preserving particular religious institutions is not. Do not expect those who run the institutions to be sensitive to the difference. God needs no particular person, church, denomination, creed or organization to accomplish HIS purpose.God will make use of those christian religions, in all their diversity, who are ready to be used, but will leave to themselves those who labor for their own needs.

God needs no particular person, church, denomination, creed or organization to accomplish HIS purpose, BUT HE/SHE will USE them for HIS/HER own needs? WTF?

Again a human putting his/her slant or wish on a super-human being (Prime Cause) who obviously doesn't give a crap what us humans on earth are doing anyway, sigh.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Thanks Blondie!-

Very interesting!

Cheers! Atlantis & Nevada-

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, bikerchic, when first starting out Russell saw that there was truth in all Christian religions. But if you don't believe in God at all, then religions of any kind are not being led by God.

Actually if there is a God (those who think there is not will obviously see this from a different slant) why would he need any one religion. I liked the concept of dealing with individuals not organizations. The WTS tries to teach that God always had an earthly organization before the nation of Israel was formed. But unless Adam, Abel, Enoch, Noah, Shem, Abraham, Jacob, etc. were organizations, that is not true.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit