One True Religion?

by blondie 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Blondie and Friends,

I was reminded of T.J., his comments on Truth, and under_believer's thread of 17 November 2006, 00:28 hours. To both men of renown may the credit go:

"Truth is great and will prevail if left to herself. She is the proper and sufficient antagonist to error, and has nothing to fear from the conflict, unless, by human interposition, disarmed of her natural weapons, free argument and debate; errors ceasing to be dangerous when it is free to contradict them."

Thomas Jefferson: Bill for Establishing Religious Freedom, 1779

I understand that the Governing Body intones Jefferson's words before reaching a decision of great moment.

Thanx Blondie,

CoCo

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..Yes...OUTLAW

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Stunned by the posts here.. surely the whole OT is verey specific about how there is only ONE true religion. The land of confusion taught by many christians is unscriptural - nowhere does it say that all roads lead to heaven. As Satanus astutely pointed out a christian is as exclusive as anyone - even if they laud their lack of definition by accepting all the creeds of christendom (except the LDS no other christians like us:P ). If your church doesn't think its more right than any other denominations then it can't claim to be Jesus' as His holy scriptures claim one faith, one baptism. I absolutely reject the watering down of authority represented by the any road approach though I also believe truth is independent of any single organisation (it exists everywhere in varying quantities but truth alone does not equate to correct choices.)

• Kaput
    Kaput
    Stunned by the posts here.. surely the whole OT is very specific about how there is only ONE true religion.

Where is it?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Thou shalt have no other Gods before me.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I have to agree with Satanus, while the essay may show a more generous outlook by granting all believers the possiblity of God's approval, and rejecting the "One True Religion" idea, they still aren't very generous in who they consider are worshipping God correctly, because they limit it to those who believe in Jesus, which is still clinging to the idea of "One True Religion" (beleiver's in Jesus in general with various different bible interpetations) and a rejections of other religions as false and not meeting wih God's approval.

It always make me question the importance the Bible puts on "faith" to have God's approval with it accompaning rewards for beleiving. Why would God want to judge people adversly because they did not believe "hear say" evidence, which can not be verifed? I could see a reasonable God perhaps condenming those who did not obey his commands after he gave plenty demonstratable evidence that he was God, but to punish those who did not beleive "hear say evidence", really is not very fair, for it favors the gulible, and penalizes those more careful or critical when it comes to beleiving hearsay.

I know some will use special pleading like: God's knows the good hearts and so grants them the faith they need to beleive without sufficiant evidence, while he lets the proud stay in unbeleif. To me if we follow that type of resoning then we must also conclude, that all the people that never even heard of the christian message, or were born in another religion to which they have been indoctrinated to beleive is the true one although not christian, that they too must have all bad hearts and that is why they were born into a religion not christian and have not heard the testimony about Christ.

To me it seem very evident that this importance the bible puts on faith is just a ploy to get you beleiving in something, and suspend any critical examination, and if doubts come latter to reject them out of hand for loss of faith leads to damnation.

• kid-A
    kid-A

I absolutely reject the watering down of authority represented by the any road approach though I also believe truth is independent of any single organisation (it exists everywhere in varying quantities but truth alone does not equate to correct choices.)

> If truth is "independent of any organization", then the first part of your sentence is false. If you reject the "watering down of authority" of said organization or organizational interpretation of supernatural authority, then the second half of your sentence is false. You have contradicted yourself in one sentence.

"but truth alone does not equate to correct choices"

> Ergo, you willingly admit that falsehoods may be used to arrive at correct choices about religious truth? I am beginning to fully comprehend the success of the WTS and the LDS !!! LOL...

• willyloman
    willyloman

The writer's point is one of the things that facilitated my exit from the dubs, once I decided to go.

The gospel accounts in the bible can be distilled down to this:

1. The Jews worshipped Yahweh and viewed him as their personal god and their leaders developed a long list of rules governing that worship.

2. Christ came and said, 'You don't need no stinkin' rules.'

3. The powers that be were appalled at the potential consequences of such talk and killed him.

Church history since that time has been one long struggle for authority over the way individuals worship. Those who follow Christ's teachings and recognize there is no earthly authority have been ostracized for centuries. The multitude of "Christian" churches exist because there are so many different interpretations of just how Christ's teaching should be applied in the context of a religious community.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Kid - A - you'll have to explain yourself - I don't understand. Clearly you don't see what I'm saying so I'll re-phrase it. Truth - is truth (God's existence for example - if true - does not require an organisation to make it true.) The authority to act in God's name is a seperate matter entirely, it is the claim to act for and on behalf of God - to not claim that authority or to claim that the authority is non-exclusive is to water it down and make it non-effect.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Kid-A - I'll respond to your second point in case I get accused of ignoring you. Having truth doesn't make you make correct choices - eating too many fatty foods will harm your health (truth - known by most educated people) but obesity levels are rising - I hope you get my point rather than misinterpretining it this time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit