Now we're going to Key West!!

by mariposa 20 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I live in Tampa, I've been to Key West once, It was a very nice trip, especially if you like to drink and listen to music at night. Or drink and go to the Irish pubs during the day. Youll enjoy it. You can rent a scooter and ride around the Island. There are snorkling trips on reefs. I had a great time. Good luck

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Amanda and I went to Key West back in 2003, it is a really cool place, it has a different feel to it than most american beach towns, it kinda reminds me of what i think the Bahamas is like. Most of the houses there are old and somewhat weathered. The people are very friendly there. I will recommend a few places: Looneys restaurant is open aired, and sits on an inlet next to the road. You can actually watch people ride their Jet-Skis in and dock. They have an all you can eat grouper special served with black beans,rice and conch fritters. Conch is a shellfish. take the conch tour train around the island, it is really fun and informative, but be aware you will pass the Kingdom Hall on the route. There is so much to see and do there. I may post some more later if you like.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

If you want I can tell you more, but if you would just want to be surprised, then I wont spoil it for you. I think you will have a great time there.

• mariposa
    mariposa

Nah - tell me more. I'm sure we'll find plenty of things to do but I would really like to know ya'll's favorites. Believe me, I want to do it all, but I know we won't have enough time!

Is the sunset party thing at Mallory square really cool? They seem to talk about that the most on the net. I would love to go out to Dry Tortuga but it's a helluva lot more $$ than I thought it would be. Just for the "ferry" ride!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

The sunset party is awsome, you must see it, they have various street performers including jugglers, acrobats, musicians, plus you will get to see the famous sunset. Also there is a harbour boat tour that you can take, it is really informative and lasts about 1 1/2 hours. There is a gambling ship that takes you out to sea for about $20+ included in that price is all you can eat hamburgers and hot dogs, a real bargain.-----One thing that will really amaze you is the cruise ships that dock there, you will probably see one as you come down duval street, they are huge. We ate seafood at a restaurant on Duval St. called Crabby Dicks, the food was really good. There is one restaurant you might want to avoid, it is called the "Key West Diner" It looks like it was an old Shoneys that they converted. They offered a buffet but the food looked ho hum, so I passed and just had a grouper sandwich.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The beaches themselves arent really spectacular or plentiful, but the atmosphere of Key West makes up for it. Walk along the dock on the back side of Kew West, there is all kinds of shopping there.. I was really impressed by the fact that it seemed much safer there than in the rest of florida. I lived in Lakeland and Tampa Florida and you wouldnt dare walk after dark there. Everyone seemed very friendly and helpful there. 2 things you must try while there is Conch Fritters and real Key Lime Pie. Are you driving down? or flying? I can also tell you about other places in the Keys and Miami.-------Dave

• mariposa
    mariposa

Cool - thanks Dave!

We will be driving from Atlanta. I'm thinking it will be about 14 or so hours. We're leaving the hotel on the 21st and don't have to be in south Georgia for Christmas until the 24th. So we'll probably take the long way back by way of ....who knows. I know we'll take a day to drive around the keys while we're there. I saw Bahia Park that looked pretty and the dolphin thing. We'd like to check out Miami too.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well there are 2 routes you can take, i would suggest going a different route each way. Going down I would drive I-75 all the way through to Alligator Alley and Miami, then down to the Keys. On the way back I would drive up the east coast I-95. Miami beach is a really trendy spot. Just north of Miami Beach is a town called Bal Harbour. There is a mall there called "The shops of Bal Harbour" This is a very upscale mall with Saks 5th Ave, Neiman Marcus, Tiffany's, Cartier, etc etc etc. This mall is a frequent place to spot celebrities in Miami.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The drive through the Keys is scenic, and you will pass over many little keys. At mile marker 48.5 there used to be(maybe still?) a restaurant called Joe Rubido's Florida Lobster House. The food is really good there, and they have a nice salad bar.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bahia Honda State Park is beautiful. There is a beautiful waterfall display in the median as you enter Key Largo. If I think of more I will tell you, so check this thread again.------Dave

• mariposa
    mariposa

Awesome - I'll keep an eye on this.

We have to go down 95, because of where we are dropping our dog off in s. Ga. and the time frame. But coming back up we'll have more time to lolly-gag and I want to do the alligator alley thing. Can you really see them from the road?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I really pity someone in Atlanta who says it's so cold here lately.

But anyway, Key West if great. If you drive down, consider parking and walking
    most of the time. You could also rent scooters or electric cars, but if you
    are up to walking, it is just easier. (Exception- the beach on the south of the
    island- plenty of parking and nice to have your stuff in the car.)

If you are a shopper, don't buy right away. Just like other Caribbean Islands,
    prices are not "set." Prices are higher or firmer whenever a cruiseship is
    docked, lower after it leaves. Dickering is common. You might also see the
    same thing elsewhere, or they will start a so-called Clearance sale tomorrow.

If it's your thing, Key West has an excellent Butterfly house. Look for a
    flyer to save a buck. SCUBA is generally shallow dives unless you hook up
    with an outfit that takes you to a wreck. Snorkling is fine in Winter, just wear
    a wetsuit if you do it off a boat and plan to stay in for awhile.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Yeah, alot of people in Key West ride around on scooters, it looks like so much fun. I hope you have a fun time down there, and get to do alot of sightseeing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit