Isn't obesity a difilement of the flesh?

by BrentR 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BrentR
    BrentR

Back when I was a JW I saw many people DF'd because of smoking. It was probably the second most common reason aside from fornication and adultrey. I can't tell you how many brothers and sisters I knew in my Cong. that were extremely overweight and had chronic health problems because of it.

As a former EMT I spent alot of time going on calls to nursing homes and retirement centers. Quite often I would see people in their late seventies and even eighties outside grabbing a smoke. Granted they were not exactly pictures of health but they were still alive. However what you would rarely see would be people in that age group that were obese. They just didn't live that long.

I have asked many JW's, two of them elders, how smoking can be considered a defilement of the flesh but not obesity. Both are very dangerous but it appeared to me that obesity tends to kill you much sooner on average then smoking. I never got a decent, clear, logical or even common sense answer from them. Instead I would be asked if I was questioning the organization. It only took a few times being asked if I was questioning the organization vs having my question aswered to realize that I was hitting a delicate nerve.

I have heard that more recentley, long after I had left them, that it was being addressed but I am not seeing any changes in the average weight of JW's. They come into the clinic I lease space from almost every day. The ones that were fat then are still fat now, at least the ones that are still alive I might add.

I would be curious to hear from anyone in the healthcare profession that has made this same analogy and is every bit confused as I was.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

If they DF'd according to the scripture in 2 Cor 7 that they use for smoking, you would see the numbers drop dramatically, yes obesity is defilement of the flesh, but you would have to DF them long before that as many who are obese got that way from gluttony which is a form of idolatry and greed according to the witness. Their numbers are not growing as it is, what do want to see, KH for sale?

• BrentR
    BrentR

Yes!!! Turn them into health clubs instead and we would all be better off.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Neither smoking or over eating are defilements of the flesh.

"Are you not aware that NOTHING from OUTSIDE that passes into a man can defile him, since it passes, not into his heart, but into his intestines and it passes out into the sewer."

Mark 7:18,19

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Now that is funny, if you can laugh at that. Many though should go to help clubs, it would be a better way to spend their time, I would suggest taking some family members along. About time to get some real family time in instead of sitting there like mutes. Thinking you are spending quality time because someone else who isn't spending quality time with his family is telling you from the platform away from his family.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Yep!

And everytime I look in the mirror I feel defiled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snoozy...who could stand to lose a few pounds!..

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If smoking were a defilement of the flesh (IOW, if I agreed with the WT)
    then certainly gluttony would also be a defilement of the flesh.

Obesity is not always caused by gluttony. There are health factors
    that cause or influence obesity.

The WTS would love to measure greed or gluttonly or lust in the figurative
    heart of the faithful. They would love to know whether they have doubts
    or convictions on WT doctrine. THEY CANNOT MEASURE THESE.
    IT IS DIFFICULT TO JUDGE THESE. It is easy to say "No smoking."

They just have to be different and controversial. If their numbers were
    truly climbing and donations were coming in, they would set more
    new rules like "No smoking."

• BrentR
    BrentR

So very true! It's just those dam carbs, now if we could only get them to pass into the sewer also.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Brent is evidently more knowledgeable than me in medical matters , but I would say that obesity is not a 'wrongdoing' it is a symptom of imbalance in the body that is often caused by overeating (gluttony?) but also sometimes by hormones or something else .

It is the actions that are viewed as wrongdoing, not the consequences

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i'm a plump old grandma.. i don't feel defiled.. i come from a long line of lil round women. i couldnt be thin if i wanted to be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit