Isn't obesity a difilement of the flesh?

by BrentR 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

http://www.doctorslounge.com/primary/articles/obesity_death/

CDC: Obesity approaching tobacco as top preventable cause of death

Monday, 5 April 2004 05:30 PM GMT

In a recent government study, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that obesity is fast approaching tobacco as the top underlying preventable cause of death in the USA.

Thirty-four percent of U.S. adults are considered overweight, and an additional 31 percent are obese.

Anyone with a body mass index (a ratio between your height and weight) of 25 or above -- that’s someone, for example, who is 5-foot-4 and 145 pounds -- is considered overweight, according to the National Institutes of Health. Anyone with a body mass index of 30 or above -- such as someone who is 5-foot-6 and 186 pounds -- is considered obese. Check your body mass index here!

The results of the new study appear in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

In 2000, poor diet including obesity and physical inactivity caused 400,000 U.S. deaths -- more than 16 percent of all deaths and the No. 2 killer. That compares with 435,000 for tobacco, or 18 percent, as the top underlying killer.

According to the study the gap between the two is substantially narrower than in 1990, when poor diet and inactivity caused 300,000 deaths, 14 percent, compared with 400,000 for tobacco, or 19 percent, says a report from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Like tobacco, obesity and inactivity increase the risks for the top three killers: heart disease, cancer and cerebrovascular ailments including strokes. Obesity and inactivity also strongly increase the risk of diabetes, the sixth leading cause of death.

The leading causes of death in 2000 were tobacco (435 000 deaths; 18.1% of total US deaths), poor diet and physical inactivity (400 000 deaths; 16.6%), and alcohol consumption (85 000 deaths; 3.5%). Other actual causes of death were microbial agents (75 000), toxic agents (55 000), motor vehicle crashes (43 000), incidents involving firearms (29 000), sexual behaviors (20 000), and illicit use of drugs (17 000).

• BrentR
    BrentR

They are both addictions that require medical intervention and help with if you want to stay healthy. I do not agree personally with the difilement of the flaesh label. If you start splitting hairs over terminaology there could be a very long list of substances that are not the most healthy to ingest. Even if the obesity is genetic or hormonal it still needs to be addressed since there are so many health implications.

Hypocrisy is the issue here, we all have bad habits to deal with. JW's always seem to have an answer for everything but I have yet to get anything but rhetorical questions back at me when I ask the tough questions.

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

How about alcoholism? They don't df for this either - too hard to define whether someone is an alcoholic or not - especially if they do not get drunk with the classic symptoms.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Matt. 15:10,11

10 With that he called the crowd near and said to them: “Listen and get the sense of it: 11 Not what enters into [his] mouth defiles a man; but it is what proceeds out of [his] mouth that defiles a man.”

Isaiah 55:2

2 Why do YOU people keep paying out money for what is not bread, and why is YOUR toil for what results in no satisfaction? Listen intently to me, and eat what is good, and let YOUR soul find its exquisite delight in fatness itself.

W

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

There was a 600 lb brother who was a MS at my old hall. I would have felt more compassion for him if I didn't always see him pigging out at Friendlys.

Despite his gluttony I don't think anyone should be judged for smoking, overeating or overdrinking. Most of these activities are symptoms of underlying illness. I myself used to self medicate with alchohol until I figured out that I was just masking depression. Diet and exercise helps now.

If you want to kick someone out of your organization because you don't allow smoking in your organization thats fine. Just don't judge the person as though they are a sinner and you are not.

I believe that there is nothing that defiles the flesh. We are all just a little sick in some way. The first century sheep farmers didn't know about depression, biploar or other mental illnesses. They had no understanding of genetic or hormonal disorders. And forget them even having a clue about chromosome related conditions and birth defects. We have come along way as a society so why would anyone want to go back 2,000 years in knowledge. Next you'll be praying to the sun for your next meal.

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME

Oh my.

bczar

• BrentR
    BrentR

I also remember thier proclaiming "all things in moderation" as in moderate drinking. But why not allow moderate smoking? What about all of the foods that have nicotine in them, peppers, tomatoes, patatoes, eggplant and cauliflower? It appears that they have allready defiled thier flesh many times over .

• evetteto
    evetteto

Thank you Prop for having my back

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit