Why do JWs seem to only want to own their own business?

by Medic!? 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• Medic!?
    Medic!?

Perhaps this is a thing just near my congo or circuit. It seemed like so many JWs were either unemployed or self-employed. They were always changing jobs. Is it because they have trouble submitting to any authority other than "Jehover?" What really sets me off is when an elder who can't seem to keep a job or is always in the unemployment line gives talks about being good providers for your family as this is the biblical way of being a man, etc.

Did anyone else notice this in their sentence of JW Death?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Actually, I was that elder. I was unemployed for awhile as an elder. It was not because I could not accept authority from an employer. It was because I did not seek to progress my education or skills, which made me an easy lay-off victim, with nothing to offer the next employer.

I went into a night-time cleaning business on my own, I was quite successful- not at building a huge business, but at making ends meet and keep working. This is popular with JW's so that they can get to all those meetings and minimize their coexistence with worldly workmates, also for pioneering, although that was not my goals.
    I am not self-employed anymore because, despite JW training, I was able to recognize the need to improve my future by developing education and skills. I never got scolded by a CO, but it was pretty clear that I was not going to ever advance past elder with my goals- of course, that fit my goals which had more to do with having a retirement available to my future than ever becoming a full-time servant of Jehovah WTS.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

They aren't educcated so the only chance they have at making any real money and having some free time is to have their own business. Also I think that they feel they are better than anyone else so answering to someone who isn't a JW is probably hard for them. That was a lot of my dad's reason for going in business for himself.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yes, it is true that they seem to want their own business. The reason for this is supposedly it will give them flexibility to make their own hours and be able to make all the meetings and service, etc.

Unfortunately, what passes for a "business" in many cases is only a cleaning business. From what I heard, the hours put in, the abuse to your body and exposure to chemicals, the small amount of money plus the trouble with the internal revenue service because you are "self-employed" makes this undesirable. I should also mention the fact that most people had to get out of this when they hit middle age because they just could not do it anymore.

It is also true in some cases that some JWs cannot function in an office (who can we blame for this?) I have personally witnessed the most retarded and unloyal behavior by JWs in an office. I was appalled at the total lack of sense in not realizing or accepting that a secular employer (who is paying you $$$) has a right to expect you to act professionally or "businesslike".

You can act stupid in the kingdom hall and the "friends" are supposed to put up with it, but you cannot do this in an office.

LHG

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I think that also comes from trying to meet all of the demands WT puts on them. They want the flexibility that allegedly comes from having your own business. Unfortunately it burns them because having your own business usually involves more committment to make it work. Something that gets in the way of all of the WT activities.

tsof

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Many JWs don't know when to shut their stupid mouths, which makes working for and with others difficult. Being self employed reduces the amount of contact JWs have with normal people, and so reduces the number of opportunities for them to behave like assholes and get themselves fired.

It also makes them feel good. I've met many window cleaners who thought they were big business tycoons, and they spent much of their time boasting to one another about their businesses, and how many two dollar jobs they had.

Very sad. What's even more sad is that I used to do it too.

W

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Longhairgirl makes some good points

what passes for a "business" in many cases is only a cleaning business. From what I heard, the hours put in, the abuse to your body and exposure to chemicals, the small amount of money plus the trouble with the internal revenue service because you are "self-employed" makes this undesirable. I should also mention the fact that most people had to get out of this when they hit middle age because they just could not do it anymore.

But I have to agree with truthsetsonefree:

I think that also comes from trying to meet all of the demands WT puts on them. ........... Unfortunately it burns them because having your own business usually involves more committment to make it work. Something that gets in the way of all of the WT activities.

A fair statement would be that there is nothing wrong with starting your own cleaning business while you have the energy. You need to be careful about exposure to chemicals. Also, owning your own business requires that you dedicate enough time to it, not to a goofy religion. By the time you get older, you could either sell your business or grow your business to the point that you would be a boss.

The troubles mentioned by LHG happen often because people only give enough energy to the business to get by, so they can further the WTS profits goals. The IRS problem comes from inexperience as the tax advantages for a self-run business are pretty good if you run it out of your home and vehicle and phone. It can pay for computers, vehicle repairs, home needs, utilities, etc.

I just don't want to leave alone the statement that JW's self-employment goals are bad. They are pretty good, but these folks slave for two masters, the work and the Watchtower. That's the real problem. Also, getting an education or developing skills and saving money when you are younger would help instead of pioneer recruiting.

• evetteto
    evetteto

Aha...so this explains why my husband either got fired from his job( but couldd not receive unemplymt) or quit bcuz of what was said thim...He will never tell me the truth about itb but I hv a strong inclination now...thx to ev1 that replied i hv a argument tonite...j/k...but this was informative.

• evetteto
    evetteto

Aha...so this explains why my husband either got fired from his job( but couldd not receive unemplymt) or quit bcuz of what was said thim...He will never tell me the truth about itb but I hv a strong inclination now...thx to ev1 that replied i hv a argument tonite...j/k...but this was informative.

• willyloman
    willyloman

In a word, money.

My wife and I were friends with a sister who made $250-300 cleaning houses for several "clients," which took 10-12 hours a week. She thought that was a fair exchange and was happy.

One of her "clients" introduced her to a woman who owned a very big business. Afterwards, the sister gave away most of her house cleaning accounts and hired three other sisters to work on this commercial account with her. She was terrified at the size of the cleaning job and bid it very high, hoping they'd decline. She was surprised when they accepted her bid. She held onto the job for nearly three and a half years without having to re-bid or compete for it.

During that period, she paid her team an average of about $25 an hour and after expenses she netted over $3,000 a month. She said she spent at six hours a week or 25 hours a month on this job, for which she got paid way over $100 an hour. She said she held her breath every month when she mailed the bill, certain they would call and say they found someone to do it for less.

This may not be an everyday self-employed dub experience but I heard many similar stories in my dub years. It epitomizes the JW ideal: Maximum money, minimum hours.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit