Burning Incense might be a Sin

by sammielee24 30 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

The WT website now has an article on burning incense. Yes - pretty soon I'm sure they'll be telling you how to trim your toenails. I'm surprised that they still allow dancing at weddings actually, since we know that dancing was so paganistic and led to wild, animalistic sex. As they always say - keep on the watch - to make sure your 'friend' doesn't spot you buying that package of incense at the dollar store.

<<<<Does the fact that incense is used in religious ceremonies and in spiritism mean that all incense-burning is wrong? Not necessarily. Perhaps a person wishes to burn incense as a fragrance in his home simply to enjoy its pleasant aroma. ( Proverbs 27:9 ) Even so, in decidingwhether to burn incense, a Christian should consider certain factors. Would others in the area where you live associate the use of incense with a false religious practice? In your community, is incense often associated with spiritistic rituals? Or is it commonly used for nonreligious purposes?

If an individual chooses to burn incense, his decision should take into consideration both his own conscience and the feelings of others. ( 1 Corinthians 10:29 )

sammieswife.

• Champion
    Champion

Oh my God I didn't know that!!!! Thank you I will be right back I first have to go put out my incense, stop doing Yoga, and burn my Smurf dolls!!!

But first repeat Jehovah Jehovah Jehovah

LOL

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Today they have gotten hold of my last nerve. If it weren't so utterly childish and pathetic, I'd go and glue some incense sticks in the form of the cross to the KH door. Maybe stick a Christmas card on there while I was at it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...................sammieswife.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I started burning incense as a teenager and my antique study conductor literally went into a rage about it. He showed my scriptures that if I had been an Israelite I would have been stoned to death for it. Several years later when I was in Bethel one of my friends there used to burn incense in her room. It was totally taken back, all these contrasting standards.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Burning incense was strictly forbidden when I was growing up. Demonic, even.

Good lord.

GGG

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Oh my Gawd....like the Dubs don't have enough restrictions.

Maybe instead of making a cross out of them, why don't we make a circle in the front lawn with about 50 around a stone marked 666?

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Not surprising. The smaller ones idea of god, the larger the area of sin.

j

• BrentR
    BrentR

Have they defined just what qualifies as incense? What if you only heat it but not actually burn it? What if something smells good and does not have to burnt or heated? Is it still OK to ferment a mixture of flour, water and yeast and then add heat to it because it smells really good? (tastes good to! double sin!!!)

I roast my own coffee and enjoy the smell because it brings back memories. Am I now under demonic influence?

• Dansk
    Dansk

So, millions of peace-loving, earth-caring, animal-considerate Buddhists and Hindus are damned by God because they light some incense sticks! What a load of ash!!

Ian

• Honesty
    Honesty

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have the address for the Watchtower Society.

I should write and tell them their article helped me find the one true religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit