Does Jehovah Listen To Worldly Prayers?

by jayhawk1 21 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82
    I've often wondered if the, "I was praying and the JWs knocked on my door" was just an urban myth.

I don't think it's an urban legend, I'm sure it really has happened hundreds or thousands of times.

The flip side is, you never hear about the millions who make similar prayers & no one knocks on the door. Or they pray, and a Mormon comes to the door, or a Baptist handing out flyers for his church, or a Girl Scout selling cookies, or the Avon lady, or...

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Here's a true experience and not an urban legend---My Mom was disfellowshipped, My Dad (with the help of the Watchtower) told me that Jehovah cant even hear my Mom's prayers.---Well we were living in Mississippi, and we were down on the beach one day, Mom had alot on her mind, so she started praying. The next thing you know this car pulls up with a family in it and offers us a ride and to talk with us, well guess what? They were JW's. It was a weird experience. If according to our beliefs as taught to us at the kingdom hall, our Moms prayers were not even heard, then was this a coincidence? Is this what you call a conundrum? Was Jehovah going against his so called organizations teachings by answering her prayers? Was it the demons? or was it a coincidence?

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

1 Cor 2:16 16 For “who has come to know the mind of Jehovah, that he may instruct him?” But we do have the mind of Christ.

I remember Christ turned to many who were not Isrealites, if fact he said that the one had displayed more faith than anyone of all Isreal, that would have included his apostles at the time, what about the SyriPheonicain Woman and countless others. To think that JW's have a contract or license with God Almighty and no one else is again a lack of humility on their part, who can speak for God? The Isrealites thought they too had favor nation status (exclusive right to God), and look where there arrogance got them. He said mulitple times the nations come to Him in prayer, as parents do you only listen to certain children and totally avoid listening to your other children, are we not made in His image? Abraham said that in Genesis 18:25 It is unthinkable of you. Is the Judge of all the earth not going to do what is right?” I feel confident that He will do what is right in answer the prayers of anyone who's heart is complete toward Him and is humble enough to ask for His help.

Ps 65:2 2 for you answer our prayers.
    All of us must come to you.

PS What is a worldly prayer? Who is worldly? Is that a witness term? If you use MasterCard "so worldly so welcome" does that make you worldly? DAH

• anewme
    anewme

Whatever!

Like Moshe I am not too impressed by his help to those who pray to him.

What about all the mothers and fathers who pray to God to save their children?

What about the poor man in California lost in the woods? How much would it have troubled God to help him find his way out or to guide the rescuers to find him?

The whole prayer question stinks to heaven! And Im sick of it! I have spent a lot of time in prayer in my life and I cannot say for sure if anybody was listening or cared.

Disgusting situation.

That said, I still pray anyway. What else can we do?

• Clam
    Clam
    Does anyone know the official stance on the subject?

Carla - Megsmomma has just posted a relevant WT article in a nearby post.

Watchtower, May 15, 1990, pp.11-12 Fear Jehovah, the Hearer of Prayer

A Restricted Privilege

6 Human kings do not allow just anyone to enter into the royal palace unannounced. An audience with a king is a restricted privilege. So is prayer to the King of eternity. Of course, those approaching him through Jesus Christ with proper appreciation of God's glorious majesty can expect to be heard. The King Eternal must be approached with a reverent, worshipful attitude. And those desiring to be heard must display "the fear of Jehovah."-Proverbs 1:7.

7 What is "the fear of Jehovah"? It is profound reverence for God, coupled with a wholesome dread of displeasing him. This awe stems from deep gratitude for his loving-kindness and goodness. (Psalm 106:1) It involves acknowledging him as the King of eternity, who has the right and the power to bring punishment, including death, upon anyone disobeying him. Persons manifesting the fear of Jehovah may pray to him with the expectation of being heard.

8 Naturally, God does not answer the prayers of wicked, unfaithful, and self-righteous people. (Proverbs 15:29; Isaiah 1:15; Luke 18:9-14) But those who fear Jehovah are heard because they have conformed to his righteous standards. Yet, they have done more. Fearers of Jehovah have made a dedication to God in prayer and symbolized this by undergoing water baptism. They thus have an unrestricted privilege of prayer.

9 To be heard by God, a person must express prayerful sentiments that are in harmony with the divine will. Yes, he must be sincere, but more is required. "Without faith it is impossible to please [God] well," wrote the apostle Paul, "for he that approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him." (Hebrews 11:6) Well, then, can unbaptized persons be encouraged to pray with the hope of being heard?

10 Aware that prayer is a restricted privilege, King Solomon asked that Jehovah hear only foreigners who prayed toward God's temple in Jerusalem. (1 Kings 8:41-43) Centuries later, the Gentile foreigner Cornelius "made supplication to God continually" as a devout man. Upon gaining accurate knowledge, Cornelius dedicated himself to God, who then gave him the holy spirit. Following this, Cornelius and other Gentiles were baptized. (Acts 10:1-44) Like Cornelius, anyone today progressing toward dedication may be encouraged to pray. But an individual who is insincere about studying the Scriptures, does not know the divine requirements for prayer, and has not yet displayed an attitude pleasing to God cannot be said to fear Jehovah, have faith, or be earnestly seeking him. Such a person is not in position to offer prayers acceptable to God.

11 Some who were at one time progressing toward dedication later may seem to be holding back. If they do not have enough love for God in their heart to make an unreserved dedication to him, they ought to ask themselves whether they still have the wonderful privilege of prayer. Apparently not, because those approaching God must be earnestly seeking him and also righteousness and meekness. (Zephaniah 2:3) Everyone who really fears Jehovah is a believer who makes a dedication to God and symbolizes it by getting baptized. (Acts 8:13; 18:8) And only baptized believers have an unrestricted privilege of approaching the King Eternal in prayer.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Carla,

The current spin on the topic, as stated in "What Does the Bible Really Teach?" is:

*** bh chap. 17 pp. 166-167 pars. 5-8 Draw Close to God in Prayer ***

Does Jehovah listen to all prayers? Consider what he told rebellious Israelites in the days of the prophet Isaiah: "Even though you make many prayers, I am not listening; with bloodshed your very hands have become filled." (Isaiah 1:15) So certain actions can cause God not to listen to our prayers. For our prayers to be favorably heard by God, therefore, we must meet some basic requirements.

6 A primary requirement is that we exercise faith. (Mark 11:24) The apostle Paul wrote: "Without faith it is impossible to please [God] well, for he that approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him." (Hebrews 11:6) Having true faith is more than merely knowing that God exists and that he hears and answers prayers. Faith is proved by our actions. We must give clear evidence that we have faith by the way we live every day.—James 2:26.

This is where the WTS launches the idea that one must perform the holy trinity of JW-dom to receive the privelege of prayer: meeting attendance, field service, & personal study--of course the Bible implies nothing of the sort.

• new boy
    new boy

Men.............Maybe

Women........only if they have a head covering on!

• anewme
    anewme

Likening God to a human king needing to guard himself is absurd!
    And to say "Naturally God does not listen to the prayers of......."
    What is this? Naturally it follows in logic? If human WORLDLY kings behave this way, then God does?

Who are they to tell the rest of us who God is and what He is doing?

Im so sick of the Watchtower Society's arrogance and control techniques!

I say take a chance that He is listening and might do something to help you.

After all, He made us humans, who have compassion when someone comes to us for help, we do what we can.
    If HE is up there, He must have compassion and care.
    Jesus said His Father felt love for us.
    "If a son asked his father for a fish, would he hand him a serpent?"

Anewme

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Ok, official WT BS says that their prayers aren't acceptable till they show faith and meet God's requirements. Is it me, or does that contradict all the experiences of people praying for the truth and Jehovah sending someone? C'mon, you can't have it both ways.

This means that sincerity should suffice to be heard by God. Dimwits.

For me, I've been talking alot to the wall and expecting as much help.

W.Once

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

crazyblondeb stole my answer:

jehovah WHO?????

But, sspo said:

everyone feels they got the monopoly on God

I have to respectfully disagree. Many mainstream religions (not limited to Christianity)
    believe that there are many roads that lead to God. They feel that others may have a
    listening ear with God, not just themselves.

Others, though, like the JW's- they say "ONLY US."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit