It's official ! jw's don't SHUN

by KAYTEE 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

I have just seen the video with the JW spiritual leader giving evidence in a court case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2O4lbgX81U … there he says,

"We don’t use the word, shunning"

(As his statement said that he is an elder of many years, we must assume that he is therefore speaking on behalf of the Society.)

Is this official, is it new policy from the Governing Body?

KM EBi8/02 August Kingdom Ministry sheet, Page 3 par.1

"First let us review what the BIBLE says on this subject"

Same KM sheet - Page 3 par.2

"Jesus hearers well knew that the Jews of that day had no fraternization with Gentiles and that they SHUNNED tax collectors as outcasts. Jesus was thus instructing his followers not to associate with expelled ones."

They (Society) say see watchtower sep.15 1981 pages 18-20

I say - see the Bible Luke 18 v 9-15. Also Mark 2 v 14-16

Same KM sheet, page 4. Par.12

Benefits of being loyal to Jehovah

Co-operating with the scriptural arrangement to disfellowship and SHUN unrepentant wrongdoers is beneficial.

I’m confused !!!!!

KT

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Yeah, they don't shun because of the connotation (sp?) attached to the word. Instead they disfellowship someone who is then avoided like the plague.

If you look on their website they don't shun people who leave either: http://www.jw-media.org/beliefs/beliefsfaq.htm

I once called the bethel and said that I wanted to just leave and not be shunned like it says on the FAQ page. I said I committed no wrongdoing but the elders wanted to meet with me for a JC, and I wanted to know how I could obtain this status of not shunned/not associated and they wouldn't tell me.

Kwin

• Emma
    Emma

It's just theocratic strategy; they're allowed to lie under oath if it suits their needs.

• OuterBanks NC
    OuterBanks NC

He said that "shunning" was much worse, with tar and feathering done. Has anyone EVER heard of someone getting tarred and feathered? Give me a break. As usual they parse their words, and make statements that while may be true in the abstract, they are not true in the practical.

• moshe
    moshe

It's like an employer who that says they don't discriminate against fat people in their hiring practices, they just like hiring healthy people.

JW's like to believe they don't shun- it's the fault of of person who leaves them, they brought it on themselves. Just like a fat person who can't get hired, it's his fault for being overweight.

• Gill
    Gill

'Theocratic Warfare', aka, 'lying', at its best!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I've seen that video before. Don't forget the guy was in court, and jws are allowed to lie in court if it suits the society's purpose. He was lying then.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

From their website (http://www.watchtower.org/library/w/1988/4/15/article_01.htm)

"As for a man that promotes a sect, reject him after a first and a second admonition; knowing that such a man has been turned out of the way and is sinning." (Titus 3:10, 11; 1 Timothy 1:19, 20) Such shunning would be appropriate, too, for anyone who rejects the congregation: "They went out from us, but they were not of our sort; for if they had been of our sort, they would have remained with us.

They don't use the word "shunning", eh?

Dave

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Being a JW quite a few years ago..at one time it was debated whether or not JW's could even swear on the Bible..I guess they made up their mind..

This is the first time I have seen the video..and I certainly wouldn't go anywhere near a JW from his testimony..it's jerks like that that are running the organization!...

He could hop skip and jump and dance around questions better than anyone I know... He bad!..

Snoozy..who never heard so many untruths..in 30 minutes!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    "As for a man that promotes a sect, reject him after a first and a second admonition; knowing that such a man has been turned out of the way and is sinning." (Titus 3:10, 11; 1 Timothy 1:19, 20) Such shunning would be appropriate, too, for anyone who rejects the congregation: "They went out from us, but they were not of our sort; for if they had been of our sort, they would have remained with us.

I am pissed now! I never got my first and second admonition, damn it! Just a ticket to the JC meeting. Couldn't make the flight that day.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit