Please rescue me! I just got hit with a JW Mac Truck!

by truthsearcher 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    I had a JW girlfriend like that and it was fun to go door to door or on returns (Backcalls) with her because all I had to do was listen and nod occasionally.. ..
    She did ALL the talking..and I got to count the time...

...and you had the added bonus of not ruining anyone's life by converting them.

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

If they return why not have a kitchen timer handy - set it for 5 or 10 minutes so they know their limit.

What's the limit in TMS anyway? 5 minutes?

h9k

• Gordy
    Gordy

A non-JW friend of mine, who knows JW teachings and often engages in talks with them.

One evening had a visit from two JW'S. One completely dominated the conversation in such a way that my friend couldn't answer, raise a question or make any reply.

He was sure it was just to make sure he couldn't reply.

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

I hadn't thought of that...maybe it was an intentional ploy to quash any kind of meaningful conversation. Perhaps the word had gotten out that we weren't progressing in our studies. (Although, I fail to see how tonight's episode would have led anyone to progress, all the thinking and concluding was done for us, whether we agreed or not.) I did feel embarrassed for the other JW who usually has a fair bit to say, but maybe all the time she was thinking "Go get 'em tiger!" oblivious to what was going on...

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Sounds like that JW had an embarrassing case of premature indoctrination.

I guess that's what happens when a JW finally gets some action after a long time without anyone listening to them.

• Will Power
    Will Power

So where was the host of this get-to-gether?.... Sounds like he failed his theocratic duty of steering the conversation and making sure that no one person dominated............No wonder the WT has to waste valuable time on study articles to curb this enthusiasm.

Another thought is that he is having serious doubts and is in the process of trying to re-convince himself.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Sounds to me this guy is either ADHD or bi-polar. In either case your mind races a thousand miles a minute and its hard to keep up, as well as a tendancy to interrupt conversations because your mind races so fast you have a response before their thought is finished, and you are so easily distractible from any stimulae that you cannot remember that thought if you wait for them to finish theirs.

There are drugs that help.

Sherry

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Truthsearcher, I see you're in Canada, and the guy you described sounds like someone I knew for 30 years - a blowhard elder who cannot shut up, and is always right because he says so. His name wouldn't be Hans, would it? That guy can turn a magazine presentation into a public discourse.

W

• Mary
    Mary
    We have a standing "appointment" with the local JWs to discuss "doctrine".

Hey hon. Witnesses are used to controlling the discussion and the entire conversation. You need to do some research beforehand, make lots of notes, get the evidence you need beforehand to prove their doctrine wrong, and DON'T let them stray from topic to topic. Keep them on the one topic. Witnesses will try and ignore any evidence that proves their doctrine wrong. Don't let them.

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

No, this elder's name wasn't Hans, but it sounds like he has a twin spreading havoc in my neck of the woods. Another funny thing was that we were commended time after time for being "meek" and "teachable". The truth was, he didn't leave us a chance to respond to his "teaching"...and we weren't sure what exactly he was teaching because it was so jumbled and incoherent.

Mary, I thought we were prepared, but we weren't prepared for this!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit