Please rescue me! I just got hit with a JW Mac Truck!

by truthsearcher 30 Replies latest jw friends

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

OH my, I just had a visit from a JW who proceeded to, for an hour and half, try and cover every doctrine in the book, jump from Scripture to Scripture, half the time I was so confused about what was being said. The other Witness barely got a word in edgewise. I quickly realized that there was going to be no discussion--it was sit and listen and try and look intelligent. So much for planting seeds tonight...

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

OMG! I sure hope you weren't stumbled. That witness would have nothing more to look forward to then having a mill stone tied around his neck and being tossed into the ocean. Poor guy, but divine pronouncements are divine prounouncements and have to be followed.... *end sarcasm*

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

comfort AAwwwwwwww!!! Hope u didn't get "hit" by any of the crapola that was being slung!

duckingducking

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Well, in order to keep it together and not be quite rude and ask if he actually breathed while he talked, I had to get up and walk around. I do feel very sorry for him--if this is how he behaves, how on earth would anyone ever come to the "truth"? lie? I could not follow his multitude trains of thought, nothing ever got finished, and I wonder what on earth was going on inside his mind?? I can't imagine that he is very successful as a Witness or maybe this is his method extraordinaire--beat down unmercilessly on people, until they cry out "I surrender!"

• juni
    juni

What are they doing coming to your door at 8PM?????????

Sounds like he was manic? maybe nervous? maybe a know it all?

Lucky you! hee hee

Juni

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

We have a standing "appointment" with the local JWs to discuss "doctrine". How it goes depends on who shows up. Often, there is actually some interesting discussion. Tonight was the first time with this person and WOW it took my breath away. I just need to unwind and get some exdub love! Perhaps there is some mental instablility there, I don't know this person and don't know if this was uncharacteristic or not. It was the absolute lack of logical flow to any of his comments that baffled us.

• blondie
    blondie

Maybe you can set some guidelines as to time like in a debate. Perhaps you get 5 or 10 minutes without interrruption and then he gets 5 or 10 minutes. Set down a timer so everyone can see it. Enforce it (if he gets a thought invite him to write it down although he won't be listening to you when he writes); that is if you want to repeat this experience. It is rude and indicates he doesn't think you or the other person have anything worthwhile to contribute. I can remember being in d2d with JWs like that. Tried not to repeat it.

Hey, even the WTS knows JWs shouldn't do this. Knowing and doing are 2 different things.

*** g95 4/8 p. 18 Conversation Is an Art ***

For example, Daniel has become a good conversationalist. How? By learning to control his tendency to interrupt and dominate conversations. He admits: "I have to make a conscious effort not to dominate a conversation. For me, that means harnessing my tongue. When I find myself wanting to add little tidbits, I mentally put on the brakes! If I think that a comment will change the direction of the conversation or take away someone else’s ability to converse, I just don’t say it!"

Ministry School study33p.198par.3TactfulyetFirm***

As the conversation unfolds, share points from the Bible and Bible-based literature that have a bearing on the subject. But do not dominate the conversation. (Eccl. 3:7) Involve your householder in the discussion if he is willing to share. Be interested in his views and opinions. These may provide the clues you need in order to be tactful.

Blondie

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Oh my, Blondie, that is so funny! I don't think those passages had been read recently! I almost wished we had recorded it, because it was quite unbelievable. If I hadn't just been rude and interrupted mid-sentence (or mid-rant, if you prefer), I do believe that I would not have needed to do anything other than smile and nod. Now, what is the polite way to say, please don't come back if you are going to do that...?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I know what happened. He's been to TMS school for over ten years, demonstrated numberless householder talks, and this is the first time he caught a live one! So he glommed all that learning in to a single night and let you have it.

Or he's bipolar.

Or both.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I think Jgnat hit the nail right on the head! Sounds like a "Chatty Cathy doll..pull her string and hear her talk....and talk..and talk..

Overzealous and eager..what a combo.

I had a JW girlfriend like that and it was fun to go door to door or on returns (Backcalls) with her because all I had to do was listen and nod occasionally.. ..
    She did ALL the talking..and I got to count the time...

Snoozy...

ps..I think Blondie has a good idea about setting time limits....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit